Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Spinning Blue Ring

regib

Echo Spinning Blue Ring
« on: November 07, 2016, 03:49:23 pm »
I purchased my Echo when they first came out and it was working great until recently, it suddenly stopped working.
It now has a constant spinning blue ring whenever I plug it in.
The reset on the bottom does nothing.
The little light by the cord is white.
All of my other devices connect fine.
I called Amazon help and the phone tech gave up after the reset button on the bottom had no effect.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Having a hard time finding anyone with a similar problem.  Please let me know in any additional information is needed.

Thank you. 

DParker

Re: Echo Spinning Blue Ring
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 04:02:25 pm »
It sounds like it might be trying to download a firmware update.  You said the light spins whenever you plug it in.  Does that mean you normally don't leave it running?

regib

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 04:09:06 pm »
Hi D,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I normally leave it plugged in all the time.  I had unplugged it one morning when I set the alarm and didn't want to wake my wife by telling the alarm to stop.  I came home that evening and plugged it back in and the blue light spin began.  I have left it plugged in for a few hours and it never stops.  Should I leave it plugged in for a longer time frame, like overnight?

DParker

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 04:23:26 pm »
The first thing I'd do is check out the device settings in your Alexa app and see if the Echo is listed as being "Online" (making sure it's powered on first, of course).  If so, tap on the Echo's name in the app and see what the Echo's current firmware version is.  If it's not the latest (post it here if you you're not sure if it's the latest) let the Echo run for maybe an hour or so and see what happens.

If the Echo is not listed as "Online" then you might try resetting your WiFi router and see if that helps the Echo to reestablish a connection.

regib

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 04:50:21 pm »
The Echo is listed as Offline in the app.
I reset the WiFi router and will let the Echo run and see what happens.
Nothing but the blue spin so far, but it has just been about 15 minutes.

It does say software version 4008 if that means anything

DParker

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 05:54:11 pm »
The Echo is listed as Offline in the app.
I reset the WiFi router and will let the Echo run and see what happens.
Nothing but the blue spin so far, but it has just been about 15 minutes.

It does say software version 4008 if that means anything

The current version (or at least the most current that I know of) is 4172, so you might well be stuck in an update.  So go ahead and let it run for a while.  In the meantime, do you know how to use your browser to administer your router?  If so, you should be able to find a page that displays all of the devices that currently have WiFi connections to the router, and if your Echo is indeed updating you should see it listed as one of the connected devices.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 02:03:06 am »
All good suggestions, Parker, and that is the current FW for the device. 
My light ring was spinning as I walked by it last week, I "panicked" and pulled the plug.  I realized afterward  that was not the thing to do right away, because I also knew the evening before it still did not have the latest firmware, so I plugged the thing back in.  Lights spun for a minute or less, and then Echo said hello.  I realized it was previously rebooting from the FW update, and when the light ring settled down I checked the FW and it had changed to be the current.  I was relieved that I had only unplugged it during the reboot, and not the actual FW updating.

Perhaps the OP turned his Echo off during the actual updating, so it could take longer than "a while" for the Echo to get back to checking for the update again . . .  maybe.

regib

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 02:02:35 am »
I let the Echo plugged in for 2 days and it still is just the spinning blue ring.  I did go in and see if I see it listed in the router settings.  I do not see it, but I am not sure if I am checking that correctly.  I do personally suspect that it has something to do with the echo itself not recognizing or correctly logging onto the wifi in general.  Is there a way to factory reset it other than the button on the bottom? (which is not working in my case)  Thank you for your help.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 07:15:54 am »
I let the Echo plugged in for 2 days and it still is just the spinning blue ring.  I did go in and see if I see it listed in the router settings.  I do not see it, but I am not sure if I am checking that correctly.  I do personally suspect that it has something to do with the echo itself not recognizing or correctly logging onto the wifi in general.  Is there a way to factory reset it other than the button on the bottom? (which is not working in my case)  Thank you for your help.

Contact Amazon Echo support via phone or email- you might have to return your unit for a replacement or have it serviced.
-Paul.

ScottinPollock

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 11:03:16 am »
Try holding the reset button down for a longer period of time (maybe 30 seconds or so). When you do this, note of the blue ring turns off.

If it doesn't, it's probably toast.

Larry93

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 07:30:15 am »
I had this same problem. Check and see if guard mode is activated. In the Alexa App, on the “Devices” page, there should be a toggle button. I switched “Guard” mode from “Away” to “Home” and the spinning blue light turned off.