Echo & Alexa Forums

Ways to Use Echo to Make Life Easier

alot2do

Ways to Use Echo to Make Life Easier
« on: January 31, 2015, 06:43:07 pm »
I plan on putting my echo in my bedroom. During the night I often have great ideas, and I can tell Alexia to make a note for me.

Also, during the night, questions often pop up (can you tell I don't sleep the whole night through? LOL) and I will be able to ask her questions related to whatever current book I am reading. Currently reading a book about mapping transform faults and I often reflect on what I have read as I lay there trying to fall asleep. Now I won't be tempted to get out of bed and look up whatever question I have, I can simple ask the Echo.

Also plan on using Echo as a very flexible alarm clock.

Offline jwlv

Re: Ways to Use Echo to Make Life Easier
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 12:18:04 am »
That's a great idea!

When I was in college, I always kept a notepad and pen next to my bed because sometimes would I get an idea in bed. It would have been much easier just to speak and have it recorded automatically instead of turning on the lights and then writing it down.

ac7ss

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 03:43:40 am »
Sadly, while taking a note is simple and works well, I wouldn't depend on it for looking up anything more than general information.

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 08:44:31 pm »
You suffer from flashes of genius! I get those but for songwriting or writing lyrics. I also use her as an idea keeper. And an alarm, timer, and lullabies for me when I just can't turn off the world.

xume

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 02:11:14 am »
I am in early stage Alzheimer's so I will be using it a lot. The alarms, and to do and grocery list will be helpful. I am having trouble spelling and my wife is so happy I have the echo so I don't have to keep asking her. I am looking forward to more development and capabilities coming.

George Jetson

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 09:19:01 pm »
I use Google Calendar.  I enter the following.
Birth dates (Friends and Family) All Appointments, US Holidays, Reminder Dates (Renew Prescriptions, Reminder to oil my Garage Door hinges/springs 4 times a year, Change Furnace filter each month.... You get the idea)

Every day I ask Alexa "What's on my calendar"    I never miss a thing.  It's like having my own personal assistant.   ;)   (She's so smart... she knows exactly what I need to know on a daily basis)  8)

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:25:12 pm »
I use Google Calendar.  I enter the following.
Birth dates (Friends and Family) All Appointments, US Holidays, Reminder Dates (Renew Prescriptions, Reminder to oil my Garage Door hinges/springs 4 times a year, Change Furnace filter each month.... You get the idea)

Every day I ask Alexa "What's on my calendar"    I never miss a thing.  It's like having my own personal assistant.   ;)   (She's so smart... she knows exactly what I need to know on a daily basis)  8)

Oh George!  I feel just like Jane, your wife!  I do the same thing. I write monthly reminders for myself-even bill pay reminders. Everything that makes my world go round is on my calendar (except for the amazing husband, 2 kids and 4 cats). I don't even let them hand me those little appointment reminders at the doctor's office anymore. I whip out my smartphone and put it in my calendar.