Echo & Alexa Forums

Get the most from Echo w/ a Bluetooth transmitter.

mike27oct

Get the most from Echo w/ a Bluetooth transmitter.
« on: November 10, 2015, 03:26:13 pm »
I recently bought a BT transmitter from AMZ so I could transmit from my good ol' iPod to the Echo.  Actually, I bought two different ones because each had some unique features.  One is only a transmitter and the other is a transmitter/receiver, so I could make any standard stereo headphone BT-capable using the BT receiver.

These are the two I purchased:

MPOW:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P20TFWM?keywords=mpow%20streambot&qid=1447184615&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

I like this one above since it is a transmitter and receiver, but it can't do what the other can:

Tao Tronics:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GKEAQ2M/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1447184880&sr=1&keywords=taotronics

This one is a transmitter only, BUT it can charge while being used; the other cannot.

-- Both were easy to set up.
-- I can charge both with an old 5V cell phone charger w/mini USB connector.
-- Both sound great either through Echo or headphones.
-- They are tiny and light weight: the size of a matchbook!
-- Both cost less than $30; the transmitter-only is the least costly, but not by much.

I usually use the Tao Tronics since I mostly just transmit to Echo from iPod and it can charge while in use.  Get this one if you only want to transmit.

So far, the gadgets have worked with what I connected them to:  the Echo, BT speakers and headphones, and even helped my old-tech transform into modern tech by enabling the iPod and wired headphones to be BT devices!

If you have a BT-capable computer, it can also connect it to the Echo. I play music playlists from my NAS on network to Echo.  BT is very handy.

Cpaulg

Re: Get the most from Echo w/ a Bluetooth transmitter.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 04:57:07 pm »
I know it's been quite some time since you posted this but, if you see this, could you provide instructions on how to pair an Echo to a Bluetooth transmitter (v.4.1)? Whenever I tell Alexa to pair, she tells me to select Echo on my device. Obviously, there's now way to select anything on a Bluetooth transmitter. I have a $20 Bluetooth speaker that pairs quickly and easily to the transmitter, but I can't find any instructions online to do the same with the Echo. I spoke with Amazon customer service, but she had zero technical knowledge and sounded like she was making things up as she went along. Her initial advice was to connect the transmitter to the Echo with an audio cord! I had to point out to her that the Echo didn't even have an audio-in port. Thanks!

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 05:19:03 pm »
Yep, it has been a while since I connected the transmitter and Echo, let's see . . . . .

OK, yes. it was difficult.  I think I did the following.  I believe the BT TX was made ready to pair, but first I told Alexa to "pair bluetooth", and when it said "searching" I quickly put the TX in pairing mode while sitting close to Echo.  In a few moments it said it was paired. 

Or, I did the opposite of having TX in pairing mode and then told the echo to pair bluetooth, but this method did not work as I recall, but I think the first one did.
Lemme know how it goes.

Cpaulg

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 06:43:47 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply. I was able to figure out how to pair through a bit of trial and error but it seems the Echo doesn't support the aptx codex. The audio latency is horrible for TV viewing. I have several Bluetooth headphones that support aptx, and even a $20 Bluetooth speaker that does, and they have no latency problems. You would think the very expensive Echo would support aptx. Oh well, back to the $20 speaker!

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:34:16 pm »
Lots of people reporting latency problems with TV.  Interesting to know there is a solution for TV now.  Did not know that.

BTW, all my TV audio inputs go to TV via HDMI and/or audio cables and on to stereo's input.  My Dot is one of the inputs to stereo, too.