Echo (Alexa) User Forums

marks on furniture

marks on furniture
« on: May 24, 2017, 01:08:46 pm »
I am getting circular white marks on my wooden furniture from the Echo Dot.  Does anyone else have this problem?  What would cause this?

Online kevb

Re: marks on furniture
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:20:58 pm »
Is your Dot getting warm / hot while in use? I've seen on here that some people will put the Dot on a coaster. I've not had the issue.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 01:49:29 pm »
Gen 1 Dots run very hot; especially if it has been playing music for a long time.  So, I suggested long ago to use coasters under them; maybe a couple of them.  Gen 2 Dots run a little cooler; I don't play music from any Dots except the one plugged into the stereo, so for this one I have it on a coaster.

White marks on the finish are likely due to high heat, and basically, the finish is discolored/damaged  from heat.  Put some colored furniture oil on it to see if you can repair it. Otherwise, you are out of luck.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 05:33:34 pm »
Before using a colored furniture oil on the stain, try removing the stain with some of these suggestions.  This is for white marks on furniture due to HEAT, not water.  I haven't had the problem so I haven't tried these suggestions but over the years, I've heard that they do work.
Dot 1 is on a white painted window sill
Dot 2 is on granite
Dot 3 is on top of the Keurig (I remove it when we use the coffee maker which is not often)

How do you remove heat stains from wood tables?
More Items & Techniques To try

Mix 50/50 toothpaste and baking soda, rub in. ...
    Rub in a paste of salt and olive oil, allow to sit for up to an hour. ...
    Rub in Miracle Whip (Mayonnaise) and wipe off after an hour.
    Mix 50/50 vinegar and olive oil and rub into the watermark.
    Try straight toothpaste (non-gel).
-------------------------------------------------------
http://tipnut.com/diy-how-to-remove-white-heat-stains-on-wood-table/

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 03:07:35 am »
Monica, thanks for looking up the household tip on this one.  A small dab of toothpaste on an index finger is a trick I learned years ago from a family friend watch repairman.  He showed me how to remove hair line scratches on a watch face crystal to polish it up.  It is a solution I have used for many things.

The white circles are most likely on the wood finish surface that got cloudy from the heat, and may likely remove a microscopic portion of the finish if the damage is not too deep into the finish.  The wood finish would probably benefit from a little furniture oil after the toothpaste treatment does its thing.