Echo & Alexa Forums

Mom can't remember more than one so "Open <skill>" & I avoid other startups...

rustywriter

Hi,

If only all 'fact' or education skills started up with a common command...but some are "Start...", "Ask...", "<whatever>". Mom can only remember so many different ones and she can't see well enough to read anything. I agree that "Open <skill>" perhaps isn't the best but it is the most common. And maybe 'open' isn't so bad...open a drawer, open a cabinet, etc. to get something. So I've by passed anything that doesn't start with the "Open <skill>" to keep it easy for her.

Just saying.

Rusty

strayfish

So many of these kinds of posts now, I wonder if it's worth opening a new thread, Echo/Dot as Assisitive Technology, where we can pool ideas, challenges, workarounds and so forth?

Offline jwlv

So many of these kinds of posts now, I wonder if it's worth opening a new thread, Echo/Dot as Assisitive Technology, where we can pool ideas, challenges, workarounds and so forth?

Good idea. I've created a new board called Echo Assistive Technologies.

strayfish

Thank you - for a moment there I thought there was one and I'd missed it!

rustywriter

Good idea. Thanks. Can this thread be moved? Edit...oh I see it has.

rusty
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:31:09 pm by rustywriter »

rustywriter

Hi,

If only all 'fact' or education skills started up with a common command...but some are "Start...", "Ask...", "<whatever>". Mom can only remember so many different ones and she can't see well enough to read anything. I agree that "Open <skill>" perhaps isn't the best but it is the most common. And maybe 'open' isn't so bad...open a drawer, open a cabinet, etc. to get something. So I've by passed anything that doesn't start with the "Open <skill>" to keep it easy for her.

Just saying.

Rusty

I've discovered that some skills that do not offer "Open <skill>" work this way anyway.

r

strayfish

Hi,

Just saying.

Rusty

I've discovered that some skills that do not offer "Open <skill>" work this way anyway.

r

I'm finding this too, largely because I'm a bit inconsistent in how I address it. Sometimes though it seems to be quite rigid and needs a precise form of words in the right order. I'm thinking this may change as the software develops and 'learns' from the input it's getting. I've already discovered, like one or two other people, that Lexa works just as well as Alexa and is easier to say, and given the number of random sounds it responds to from the TV or its own output, there's bound to be others. 'Electric fence' was one!