Echo & Alexa Forums

The joys of living in the country

malliekm

The joys of living in the country
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:06:53 pm »
For the second time in 35 years one of my dogs and I have taken a direct hit from a skunk.  Unless you,'ve had the same experience you can't even imagine the smell.  We just wanted to enjoy the cool front by taking a stroll on a dark quiet country road. 

mike27oct

Re: The joys of living in the country
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:27:14 pm »
A Texas size skunk must be terrible.  I can STILL recall the smell of the Florida ones from my youth. Guess you will need to bury your clothes now.

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:38:42 pm »
Dog and clothes are outside.  After being sprayed we entered the house thru the backdoor and back out the front.  Clearly I wasn't thinking!!! 
The expensive rug got a good dousing of vanilla and water.  It smells good already.  I thru away a less expensive one.   I steam cleaned all the stone floors we walked on after spraying them with vanilla and water.  Windows are open, AC is running, 4 Scentsy warmers are filling the house with vanilla and mandarin fragrance.  Poor Howie.  I sprayed him with vanilla and water too but he needs a good soaking in it or peroxide and baking soda and then the vanilla/water combo.  It will have to wait till tomorrow.  He's sleeping outside tonight :(  Bless his heart.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 05:42:08 am »
at least it did not crawl under the house and die.  skunks are not just for country living.  I live in a town of 7k and there are skunks all over the place.  I am all the time smelling them or seeing them dead on the road. 

starrin

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:29:27 am »
We always used canned tomato juice to wash ourselves and the dogs  -  then a shower

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 07:25:01 am »
Good thing for the country side, where your closest neighbors are miles away.

zaphod

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 03:32:42 pm »
or you could have been in a spot like i was two summers back. was out back having a few beers when nature called. didn't want to go back in so walked up to some scrub oak that grows all around the back side of our property. out of friggin nowhere a T-Rex sized raccoon comes charging at me! bigger face to face especially after a couple beers. it came at me like an Olympic sprinter, eyes glaring, sharp white teeth bared and my junk out unprotected! i think i did the 50 yard dash in less than 5 seconds.  :o

we've had bears in our yard, one even got in the kitchen once but a striped furry T-Rex possibly with rabies no just no. it's the pint sized demonic critters that lurk in the bushes (skunks included) and when you least expect it... it wouldn't have been so bad but my wife was sitting with and saw the whole thing. she laughed so hard so wet herself. worst part about it, i can't even kid her in public about that part or she immediately brings up WHY she did and i get ribbed about my crazed coon incident.

thankfully i can speak of the incident here thanks to some anonymity. ;)

Shellyr673

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 04:51:13 am »
I have lived in the country and experienced skunk spraying. An old remedy we used was bathing in tomato juice to kill the stinch