Echo & Alexa Forums

Philips hue light bulbs

Audiman90

Philips hue light bulbs
« on: March 17, 2018, 07:34:35 am »
Hi.
After a power cut Philips hue light bulbs come on full brightness and stay on until you reset them, which is not such a problem if you are at home during the day, but if you are away from your home or it's the middle of the night then it becomes a much bigger problem.
What I need is Alexa to remember their settings and to be able to reset them when the power is turned on once more. I have ewelink switches that remember the last settings after a power cut. Surely Alexa could do the same operation.

Peter

dragon123

Re: Philips hue light bulbs
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 09:27:15 am »
Nope. That is a Hue feature/bug.

Some scripting or an app may help you here, but it requires some money/technical knowledge. You didn't mention if you have a Hue bridge or just use an Echo Plus, but if you do have a hue bridge you could try something like this windows 10 app:
https://www.huedynamic.com/index.php/philips-hue-lights-power-cut-detection/

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 11:05:25 am »
This "problem" is discussed fairly often on the FB page for Philips Hue lights...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/philipshue/?ref=group_header

There is a specific app that will remember and reset the lights to previous settings. I don't use anything like it with mine, as we really aren't prone to the power failures in our neighborhood... we've lost power maybe 5 times over 16 years here. You could join the group on FB and you will find answers come quickly as it has a fair following.

Philips seems to believe you may need the lights to check out any issues that may have caused the outage from what I have read, so they default to "ON" when power is restored. Yeah... I think they have a point in some ways, but other ways??? It is annoying to think you will wake at 3:15 in the morning to a whole house full of full bright lights after a storm came through and knocked out lighting.

2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 02:56:52 pm »
this not only a hue issue but it happens with other bulbs too.  I have a drop cam so whenever power goes off and I am not home, I get an email, wait until the camera is connected then turn off all the lights with one group command.   I have a group called everything so I can turn off all the bulbs since I have three different brands.  since you only have hue bulbs, you don't have to setup a group.  just tell it to turn off all hue. 

when power goes off, the bulbs think you turned them off manually so when power comes back on, they think that was manual too so they come and stay on.  how are they supposed to know when you turn them off manually or there is a power outage? 

mindmagic

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 07:49:29 am »
Philips argue that the bulbs come back at full brightness in case emergency services need to visit. I've pointed out to them that

A) a short power cut is much more likely than an emergency visit; and
B) the emergency services carry torches.

Audiman90

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 08:22:36 am »
Hi.
After a power cut Philips hue light bulbs come on full brightness and stay on until you reset them, which is not such a problem if you are at home during the day, but if you are away from your home or it's the middle of the night then it becomes a much bigger problem.
What I need is Alexa to remember their settings and to be able to reset them when the power is turned on once more. I have ewelink switches that remember the last settings after a power cut. Surely Alexa could do the same operation

Peter

Many thanks for all your replys,I'll give the hue bridge a try. I did look at it previously on amazon, but from their explanation it only did the same as the Echo plus.
It's all getting very expensive to save some money.

Peter.