Echo & Alexa Forums

Dot cuts start of sounds on Bluetooth

FlyingSinger

Dot cuts start of sounds on Bluetooth
« on: April 13, 2016, 08:36:49 pm »
I've searched here and elsewhere  and can't find any answer to this question.  I've had original Echo since early 2015 and recently got a new Echo Dot as our downstairs Alexa. I have had it BT paired with the Vizio sound bar for our TV and that worked fine but is inconvenient (to my wife) to switch BT and TV modes.  So I've tried two different small Bluetooth speakers that I have. The pairing works fine, and it plays fine once sound starts. But 1-3 seconds at the start of each block of sound is cut off, e.g., [The time] is 8:15, "the time" is cut off, as if the device is powering up, although it is plugged in, and this happens identically on two different brand speakers. Once the sound starts, it plays continuously, so it's not unusable, just annoying. It doesn't happen on the Vizio sound bar. One difference is that Vizio is about 8 feet from Dot while these speakers are 18 inches (space and power cord constraint). Alexa app suggests 3 feet.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
Bruce

mike27oct

Re: Dot cuts start of sounds on Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 02:50:09 am »
I have two Dots going, and one is input to stereo and both have been connected to two different BT speakers, so YES, I have noticed this happening on the BT speakers, and I believe it is happening with the lesser quality speaker the most.  I also have a speaker connected that is not BT, but it can run with its little battery amp on or off.  When off, the volume is lower, but still useable, and have not noticed any lag issue.

All these experiences tell me it is a BT issue and each one is differently affected by this.  I do not feel it is a Dot issue at all.

FlyingSinger

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 07:50:55 am »
Thanks, that's helpful. I think I will look into a small wired speaker. I probably have one in the basement but it will have to pass my wife's muster to live in the kitchen!

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 03:26:41 pm »
I re-read you post, and I see that the BT speakers are both used as wired to Dot and not as wireless BT.  I would have guessed by being wired they would not have the issue, but used as BT they would. This seems strange, as wireless use would likely be a cause of any delay.  So, not so sure other speakers will solve the problem, but worth the try.

amcoops

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:26:37 am »
I also have this issue with my Echo Dot (2nd generation). I connect to my speaker as I like to play music through it, however once connected, whenever sound starts (whether it be Alexa's speech or music) the first few seconds of the sound is very quiet (unable to hear unless I have my ear right up against the speaker), and then it suddenly increases to the correct volume. This issue happens whether I'm connected to the speaker via bluetooth or line in.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 12:51:10 pm »
Perhaps the issues are based in the BT speaker.  Try another BT speaker, or put a different BT input in it from another device than an Alexa device.

amcoops

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 04:31:18 pm »
Perhaps the issues are based in the BT speaker.  Try another BT speaker, or put a different BT input in it from another device than an Alexa device.

I've tried another speaker, and it works flawlessly, but unfortunately the speaker that doesn't work is my big one which I want my music on. Both of my speakers work flawlessly when connected to my phone or tablet via bluetooth, so this is definitely an Echo issue.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 05:15:51 pm »
Sounds like you need to contact Echo Customer Service support phone number.  Google to find number.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 06:53:49 pm »
amcoops: Why would you say it's "definitely an Echo issue" when you tried another speaker and "it works flawlessly"?  I would have concluded that it's a speaker issue (or the amp/receiver that it's connected to).

Years ago, I had a Yamaha receiver and a Denon receiver. They both have a sleep/power saver mode when no audio is being detected. When it's in that mode and it detects audio, there is a slight delay before you can actually hear it through the speakers. On the Yamaha you can actually hear a click of the relay to power on the amp.

It seems quite obvious to me that your setup has something similar. For example, if everything is silent and you ask "Alexa, what's the weather" you'll probably have the beginning Alexa's answer cut off. But if you ask again immediately, "Alexa, what time is it" you'll likely hear the full answer from start to end. If that is what happens, then you know for sure: Your speaker/amp/receiver powered up from the 1st question and therefore the audio is already detected and coming through.

Two ways to fix this:
1. Use a different speaker that does not have a sleep or power saver mode.
2. In Alexa app settings > Sounds, turn on the option to beep at the start of a request. That will make your Echo device beep whenever it hears "Alexa" and then process your question. The time between the beep and the question you ask should be sufficient to wake up your speaker.

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 10:23:33 pm »
Perfect reply. Nuff said.