Echo & Alexa Forums

Setup someone else's Dot with my App

camladdie

Setup someone else's Dot with my App
« on: October 15, 2017, 04:30:49 am »
I have Amazon Alexa App on my iPad

Before I go and try, can I use that in a friend’s house to set up his Dot using his WiFi?

He does not have a smartphone nor a tablet, so no App, and I do not understand Windows enough to set him up using his PC - I’ve tried!

Re: Setup someone else's Dot with my App
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 05:35:54 am »
just go to alexa.amazon.com in your browser.  if you are unable to set it up using a pc, then you need to get someone who know what they are doing to set it up.  you can set it up using your app but then it will have to be setup again using their own accounts and wifi.   it can get messy

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:32:46 am »
You can manage and setup multiple account devices from the same Alexa app and from different loctions. ;)

Open your app on your phone go to settings and sign out.
in the new screen that appears scroll down and create a new account.(one for your friend)
Once setup login to your app with your friends account then setup their Amazon Alexa device.
Once done sign out and log back in with your info.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:34:28 am by tuicemen »

camladdie

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:43:52 am »
Thank you both - I'll try, following tuicemen's solution

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 06:45:07 pm »
LOL that's dangerous. Never use your account to setup his dot. He can buy anything he wants on amazon and guess who's gonna get the bill?

That's weird how you can't set it up via his PC. Did you try to google the step by step? Pretty sure there will be alot of instructions you can find to set it up by PC. And I highly recommend you set it through his PC. I mean why even bother buying a dot if he does not even try to set it up himself. Weird.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 04:57:34 am »
LOL that's dangerous. Never use your account to setup his dot. He can buy anything he wants on amazon and guess who's gonna get the bill?

That's weird how you can't set it up via his PC. Did you try to google the step by step? Pretty sure there will be alot of instructions you can find to set it up by PC. And I highly recommend you set it through his PC. I mean why even bother buying a dot if he does not even try to set it up himself. Weird.

and that is one of the reasons why I said it could get messy  :-)  in addition, any time there is an issue the friend would need access to the phone - among other issues.