Echo & Alexa Forums

Can you listen to US radio stations when in the UK?

bracken

Can you listen to US radio stations when in the UK?
« on: December 25, 2017, 06:21:13 am »
I am in the UK trying to listen to US radio stations but cannot. Is there a way round this?

AlanH

Re: Can you listen to US radio stations when in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 06:42:22 am »
Yes, you should be able to do this. In the home page menu, tap Music & Books, and you should see TuneIn as a radio source. Use Search at the top of the page, or try this "Alexa, play KUSC radio on TuneIn". if that works, you're listening to a US station. Ensure the station name is correct when asking Alexa.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 01:39:11 pm »
Any radio station in the world that has an internet stream can be listened to via tunein and iheart radio.  Here in US I was listening to NRK Jazz (Norway) a while ago.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 01:39:26 pm »
Any radio station in the world that has an internet stream can be listened to via tunein and iheart radio.  Here in US I was listening to NRK Jazz (Norway) a while ago.

mindmagic

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 04:09:35 am »
You can listen to any internet station from anywhere in the world. I'm in the UK and I often listen to US stations on my Echp devices through TuneIn. With all TuneIn stations you have to get the station's name exactly right and speak clearly. Try the classical music station WQXR; Alexa never seems to get confused about that one.

B.Hill

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 12:09:11 pm »
I second WXQR as it is like Classic FM without the constant ads, with occasional breaks for announcements or news

Resonance

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 01:39:17 pm »
Some stations geo-block (only make themselves available in their/certain countries). This is because streaming internationally is more expensive when it comes to paying for music licensing or they may be offering sports commentary, but only have the rights in certain countries. So basically, it depends. A lot of US stations are available in the UK, but not all.

Andy

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 01:12:35 pm »
Just tried tgis on a couple of New York stations- music keeps cutting off?

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 01:58:30 pm »
Try other US stations; you just connected to two flaky ones.  Not every internet station works well.

Andy

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 02:46:51 am »
Thanks- any good US stations out there?