Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Spot - turn off the screen

stocklen

Echo Spot - turn off the screen
« on: April 23, 2018, 05:00:26 am »
Hi All

I'm pretty sure this isnt possible yet... but i wonder if theres a way to turn off the echo spot screen automatically.

Now, I know that you can say 'Alexa, turn off the screen' and i do this very regularly!

I dont really see the need to have the screen permanently on when im not actively using it.  For example, when im out the house all day there is no reason for the screen to be on at all.  I know that the screen is probably designed for longevity but it feels better to have it turn off when not required.  Also, of course, I turn the screen off at night when i go to bed - i prefer total darkness - it only takes a tap or saying alexa to bring it back on after all.

That being said, the spot is also annoyingly sensitive! - i have echos around the house and it does seem like when i use any of them the spot always hears me too, and the screen turns back on (even though the spot wasnt the device that processed the command). Also, and more strangely, I sometimes find when i wake up in the morning that the spot's screen is back on - and ive certainly not tapped it or said alexa (unless im talking in my sleep :-) )

Anyway, seems to me that a great setting for the spot would be a 'turn of screen after  x minutes'.  This would be very useful, save a tiny bit of power, and extend the life of the screen.

As I said before, it seems a strange omission as there seems to be no functional reason why you would want the screen on and active 24/7 - only when you need it.

Drwoodr

Re: Echo Spot - turn off the screen
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 09:46:42 am »
I know this doesn’t address your question about turning the screen off, but just wanted to know if you are aware of the night mode setting? I use the high contrast clock, and at night it’s just dim orange numbers that I can still read if I wake up at 3 am, but it’s not bright enough to keep me awake.

stocklen

Re: Echo Spot - turn off the screen
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:38:35 pm »
I know this doesn’t address your question about turning the screen off, but just wanted to know if you are aware of the night mode setting? I use the high contrast clock, and at night it’s just dim orange numbers that I can still read if I wake up at 3 am, but it’s not bright enough to keep me awake.

Absolutely, thanks.  I tried night mode on the first couple of nights i had the spot... but for me pitch black beats dim :-)

Not quite my point though.  It would be nice to have an option for the screen to turn off and stay off until needed.  If it inadvertently turned back on then it would be nice for it to turn off again after a few minutes if thats how I wanted it.

As I say, it just feels wrong to me to have something with a permanently on screen when for many hours of the day (and night) im not really going to be in the same room as it, let alone looking at it.