Echo & Alexa Forums

Follow up mode

Jamd19

Follow up mode
« on: April 09, 2018, 10:23:11 am »
I recently learned about the "follow up mode" and enabled it on each device. It doesn't seem to be working. For example, If I say Alexa add eggs to my shopping list and she responds that she added it shouldn't I be able to then say add milk to the shopping list without saying the wake up word again?

Re: Follow up mode
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:33:14 pm »
I recently learned about the "follow up mode" and enabled it on each device. It doesn't seem to be working. For example, If I say Alexa add eggs to my shopping list and she responds that she added it shouldn't I be able to then say add milk to the shopping list without saying the wake up word again?

Yes... I have noticed some commands don't get a follow up time, but most commands that are function related do. Something like "Turn out the corner light" will usually be followed by a follow up time of lighted ring... but the "Save this" type stuff mostly hasn't left me a follow up light ring. If I ask for the Entertainment center stuff to be turned off, I always get the follow up ring that gives me a couple of seconds to add "and turn on the____ Lights"... after one follow up the light ring doesn't stay lit for a third command either... I have never seen it do that yet at all.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

zaphod

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 03:18:44 pm »
a few days after follow up mode was rolled out i showed my mother how to use for adding items to the shopping list. she, we only needed to say alexa once and then just keep adding items. the only time our mom needs say alexa again at this point is if she waits beyond that five second window to add the next item.

as for follow up mode in general i have found it to be somewhat spotty. for the exact same command sometimes follow up functions as expected and then other times, again same command verbatim but it doesn't activate? i expected a few hiccups at the outset. i expect in shortly that updates will make it all more seamless, less quirky.

Jamd19

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 02:26:35 pm »
a few days after follow up mode was rolled out i showed my mother how to use for adding items to the shopping list. she, we only needed to say alexa once and then just keep adding items. the only time our mom needs say alexa again at this point is if she waits beyond that five second window to add the next item.

as for follow up mode in general i have found it to be somewhat spotty. for the exact same command sometimes follow up functions as expected and then other times, again same command verbatim but it doesn't activate? i expected a few hiccups at the outset. i expect in shortly that updates will make it all more seamless, less quirky.

It works on my other dots, but for some reason it doesn't work on the kitchen dot, where I would use that function the most. At least I know it works, so maybe I'll just switch 2 of the dots. Thanks for the feedback.