Echo & Alexa Forums

Built-in camera, how to use it?

Mannix

Built-in camera, how to use it?
« on: May 19, 2018, 11:34:50 am »
I bought multiple devices. Three spots and one show. They all have built-in cameras.

I thought I would be able to use them like intercoms. And baby monitors.

I found out that to use them like intercoms, you have to enable the "drop in" feature. And that occurs through your smart phone. I don't have a smart phone, so I can't do that. Is there a way to do it if you don't have a smart phone?

And if you do have a smart phone and enable it, does it use your smart phone minutes?

And what about the built-in cameras on these devices. How do you use them? If I want to use one as a baby monitor, why do I need to buy another camera when there is a camea built in to the Echo Spot?

Laurel

Re: Built-in camera, how to use it?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 01:12:27 pm »
It seems that you can enable the drop in feature on the echo show by having a contact do it for you. "Before you can use Drop In with your friends and family that have an Echo device, you need to:

Sign up for the full Alexa Calling and Messaging experience through the app.
    Enable Drop In for a contact.
    Have a contact enable Drop In for you.
    Check that your device is compatible with the Drop In feature."
I suspect the contact who has a smartphone would have to download Alexa App and sign on with your info.  After enabling the drop in feature, they could delete the app so that they don't have access to your system and account.  I would do that with them as I am paranoid lol.

There is a built in camera in the Echo Show, but for example if I call my husband from the Show downstairs and he is in the master bedroom where the other Show is, he has to voice answer the call for the camera to start a visual contact. That's all I know about the camera.

Laurel

Re: Built-in camera, how to use it?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 01:15:00 pm »