Echo & Alexa Forums

White screen instead of results in iOS Alexa app

Morac

White screen instead of results in iOS Alexa app
« on: February 21, 2018, 09:22:56 pm »
Today on my iPhone 7 Plus, the home tab where the Alexa results usually display started showing up as a white screen.  The buttons at the bottom and top still appear, but instead of the Alexa results there is a white page. I later tested the Alexa app on my iPad Air 2 and that was working fine (results were updating), but about 20 minutes later it too displayed a white screen instead of results. It did this after I went into the settings to check the app version.

I even dragged out my old iPhone 5s and iPad 2, installed the Alexa app on both and got the same results.  I’ve already tried deleting and reinstalling the app and restarting my devices, but nothing helps.  I can get the Alexa results from the alexa.amazon.com web site, but not in the app.

I tried contacting Amazon Alexa support, but they weren’t any help.  They just told me they don’t know what’s wrong.  It seems like something server side considering it broke out of the blue on all my iOS devices, including one running iOS 9.3.5, though it took longer for the iPad Air 2 to stop working.

Any idea what’s going on or how to fix it?  Anyone else having the same problem?

Edit:

It started working again, though not consistently.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:48:34 pm by Morac »

strayfish

Re: White screen instead of results in iOS Alexa app
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 05:49:26 am »
What do you mean by results?

Morac

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 07:36:48 am »
What do you mean by results?

The main page in the Alexa app where you can see what Alexa said in response to questions. 

Like I mentioned though, it’s working again.

strayfish

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 09:21:28 am »
Ah, yes. That seems to undergoing some kind of overhaul in that it's not possible now to playback audio* Alexa recorded in response to, for instance, a TV or other non-user sound. Could be it's scrambling everything else too while they get it settled.

*Just checked and, despite being told by Amazon that facility had been removed, it's back. Seems the left hand is struggling to keep up with the right hand!