Echo & Alexa Forums

Changed functionality in the Alexa app

strayfish

Changed functionality in the Alexa app
« on: February 16, 2018, 02:26:22 pm »
A little while ago I noticed that when I accessed radio stations via their own skill (BBC is actually the default now for its own programmes whereas before it was Tunein), 'Now Playing' in the app and on-screen showed nothing - it was as if that device wasn't playing. Along with this, there was no access to volume control or any ability to switch stations because History showed nothing either. If I access them via Tunein, the controls are still there. Similarly, for the likes of Spotify and Audible.

Alongside this, I saw that in Settings<History, the 'text not available' entries no longer loaded.

I passed these observations to Amazon who have been suggesting fixes, sadly without really reading my messages which might explain why finally someone has come back with the news that these functionalities have actually been removed by the development team.

I'm not going to miss the clips of TV or bouts of coughing that Alexa sometimes captured but I do miss the option to make quick volume/station adjustments from my computer. This week in particular, with a nasty virus that caused a sore throat and bouts of paroxysmal coughing, yelling at Alexa hasn't been my best experience, and I know from some commenters here that voice alone can be a more permanent problem. Has this affected anyone else? I've asked for it back but I'm not optimistic!

Laurel

Re: Changed functionality in the Alexa app
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 03:47:45 pm »
I just sent an email to the tech reps complaining of this.  I think it is a step backwards.

strayfish

Re: Changed functionality in the Alexa app
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:41:06 pm »
Good for you. Why on earth would they remove an accessibility route when every other thing is stacking them up so more people can make use of their gizmo? It's as if someone on high has said this is a VOICE device, make them use VOICE! Well, let's see.