Echo & Alexa Forums

Spot worth it?

Andy

Spot worth it?
« on: March 09, 2018, 02:47:55 pm »
Hi all as above really- i have a dot so am i really paying £100 for a screen with camera?- thanks

Re: Spot worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 02:59:06 pm »
it really depends on your usage.  I do not have one because I do not have a need.  unless you need a screen to call or for security cams then it is really not necessary.  the screen is too small for most anything else. 

dragon123

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 03:13:14 pm »
Hi all as above really- i have a dot so am i really paying £100 for a screen with camera?- thanks

The spot can be used as intercom, baby monitor etc, as a clock, info when playing spotify, etc. I think the design is also cuter.

Whether all that is worth the extra price is up to you. But once you start collecting echo's, .....  ;D

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 04:07:53 pm »
I'd buy it today if it was a Google Home Spot and use it mostly as a bedside clock  ;D
I think it's just tooo cute but I'm more into the Google ecosystem.  If I leaned the other way
tho, I'd already have it :)

MartinB999

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 07:26:25 am »
Well, I have an array of echo's, dots, and the new spot (seven devices in all). I have to say, in my experience of having it now for about two months, it's a very expensive alarm clock.
I used the screen initially for calling my sister in Yorkshire (she has an echo show) but the screen is so small you really cannot see an awful lot unless you are extremely close to it. It's very like Skype although the sound sometimes goes awry (even though I have a superfast broadband connection). I have two cameras on the system, but again, the screen is so small it is really hard to see anything unless you are close up. I tried to call my friends in the US who have echo's but it wouldn't work; Amazon tell me it only works with people in the UK who have a device in the UK or have downloaded the app onto their mobile. I'm assured that national calling to landlines and mobiles will be coming soon (as they have in the US) but no dates as yet.
All in all, i love the spot as a device and the concept is great BUT, for me, it is a just a very expensive alarm clock now and has been assigned to my bedroom (with the camera disabled!).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:54:31 am by MartinB999 »

Andy

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 06:11:26 pm »
Thanks- that was my thought.