Echo & Alexa Forums

How to skip a re-occurring alarm without canceling?!

Fizz71

How to skip a re-occurring alarm without canceling?!
« on: February 23, 2018, 08:16:19 am »
I have re-occurring alarms every weekday morning (for work/school).  Some weekdays I know I don't need to get up and I just want to turn off the alarm for that one next occurrence.  I've tried a bunch of different commands but it always seems to cancel the whole alarm which means I then need to make sure I set it again later!

I just want Alexa to recognize that I only want to skip 1 day, and not cancel the whole thing.

I'm guessing that I'm just using the wrong words.

TIA
--Fizz

fstbusa

Re: How to skip a re-occurring alarm without canceling?!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:38:28 am »
I don't currently use my echo devices for alarms and I'm away from them for me to test it but look under settings.  What are the available options for repeats?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202110510

Drwoodr

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 08:49:18 am »
You can turn an alarm off temporarily in the Alexa app. I know not as elegant as asking her, and you do have to turn it back on later, but I do this with my spot.

PKSlough

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 03:25:46 am »
I've actually complained to Amazon about this, and they (allegedly) have a team working on it.

After only having my Echo Spot a few days, I set a recurring alarm for weekdays. All good so far.

But then as I was having a day off work, I asked Alexa to cancel the alarm for Tuesday. The response was "You don't have an alarm set for Tuesday". Well yes I do. Tuesday is a week day!

When I emailed Amazon, the person who replied agreed that it was an issue, told me that it had been sent off, and that I would get another reply when it was fixed. Needless to say, there was no further reply.

I emailed again and they just said "Oh sometimes things take a bit longer". Since then I've heard nothing.

Echotude

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 11:45:47 am »
Thank you DrWoodr for that tip with the Alexa app.    I share the same frustration as many that it seems difficult to just skip one day of a recurring alarm.  The odd thing is... I USED to be able to do this using a skip command.   I would say "Alexa... skip next 8:15am alarm."  and Alexa would reply, "Your next 8:15am alarm is cancelled.  Would you like to cancel this alarm for every (insert day)?" and I would say, "No." and Alexa would say "OK."   Now when I use the skip command Alexa just cancels the whole recurring series.

bitstopjoe

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 05:00:32 pm »
I've actually complained to Amazon about this, and they (allegedly) have a team working on it.

After only having my Echo Spot a few days, I set a recurring alarm for weekdays. All good so far.

But then as I was having a day off work, I asked Alexa to cancel the alarm for Tuesday. The response was "You don't have an alarm set for Tuesday". Well yes I do. Tuesday is a week day!

When I emailed Amazon, the person who replied agreed that it was an issue, told me that it had been sent off, and that I would get another reply when it was fixed. Needless to say, there was no further reply.

I emailed again and they just said "Oh sometimes things take a bit longer". Since then I've heard nothing.
I just swipe my screen from bottom to top. Cancels it and it works again the next time with no problem