Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo dot

rderkis

Echo dot
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:13:43 pm »
Is there any way I can have the echo closest to my voice turn on that room's light with the command "Echo turn on the light"?

Re: Echo dot
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 09:34:42 pm »
Is there any way I can have the echo closest to my voice turn on that room's light with the command "Echo turn on the light"?

YES!
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

holydoc

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:39:25 pm »
If you have multiple Echo's, name them differently.  That way when you talk to them you can call them uniquely. For instance, the one in your bedroom could be named "Computer" while the one in the living room would be named "Alexa".  That way if you are in the bedroom, you could say, "Computer, turn on the bedroom lights." 

rderkis

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 09:43:00 pm »
Thank you! You are vary kind to help a 71 year old man.
Thank You For Your Time! :-)
Ron Derkis

rderkis

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:49:02 pm »

If you have multiple Echo's, name them differently.  That way when you talk to them you can call them uniquely. For instance, the one in your bedroom could be named "Computer" while the one in the living room would be named "Alexa".  That way if you are in the bedroom, you could say, "Computer, turn on the bedroom lights."
[/quote]
I have a echo dot in every room. How many different names are there?
I am getting old and want to make it easy. One name, one phrase to turn the lights on in whichever room I am in. "Echo turn on the lights" -- "Echo turn off the lights".

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 10:11:07 pm »
Some of the advice above is just plain wrong.  You don't have to refer to Alexa devices by name, but you do need to give smart plugs unique names so you can tell ANY Alexa device from anywhere to turn something on or off.

Example, I have three smart plugs named Smart Plug, One Lamp and Two Lamps.  All we do is say anywhere in house Alexa turn on/off  (either) Smart Plug or One Lamp or Two Lamps.  I even have plugs named One Lamp and Twp Lamps joined in an Alexa Group where all we say is turn on Living Room and both those plugs turn on all three lamps.

Getting this has nothing to do with age, Pal.  I am older than you!

rderkis

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 11:06:37 pm »
Some of the advice above is just plain wrong.  You don't have to refer to Alexa devices by name, but you do need to give smart plugs unique names so you can tell ANY Alexa device from anywhere to turn something on or off.

Example, I have three smart plugs named Smart Plug, One Lamp and Two Lamps.  All we do is say anywhere in house Alexa turn on/off  (either) Smart Plug or One Lamp or Two Lamps.  I even have plugs named One Lamp and Twp Lamps joined in an Alexa Group where all we say is turn on Living Room and both those plugs turn on all three lamps.

Getting this has nothing to do with age, Pal.  I am older than you!

Yes, and you seem to have a old man's set in stone mentality.
BYW If you use blue iris with security cameras. I just wrote a computer program that interfaces with it(blue iris). When I enter a room with a camera, it automatically turns on the light for a specified length of time.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 11:25:25 pm »
Kind of a ridiculous response, and oh yes, you're very welcome for thanking me for the valuable and accurate information I gave you.

Laurel

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 02:01:03 am »
Kind of a ridiculous response, and oh yes, you're very welcome for thanking me for the valuable and accurate information I gave you.

I agree that was an odd response to someone who had been so helpful to him and polite to him.  Go figure!  It is discouraging, but mike 27 I always your help and your thoughtful and helpful responses to others.  Kudos to you.

rderkis

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 03:31:35 am »
your help and your thoughtful and helpful responses to others.
Sounds like love to me. :-)

dragon123

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 03:53:38 am »

Yes. The easiest way is to make groups. In the app, go to smart home -> groups. For instance I have a Kitchen Group that includes all kitchen lights and the kitchen echo. If you include an echo in a group, that group becomes 'Alexa enabled' which means that if you are in the kitchen and say 'alexa, turn on the lights' Alexa knows to turn on all kitchen lights.

Before there were alexa-enabled groups you could make a 'kitchen group' of lights, and had to say 'Alexa, turn on all kitchen lights', which of course still works and this is the command for when you are elsewhere in the house as well.

rderkis

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 04:13:51 am »
Yes. The easiest way is to make groups. In the app, go to smart home -> groups. For instance I have a Kitchen Group that includes all kitchen lights and the kitchen echo. If you include an echo in a group, that group becomes 'Alexa enabled' which means that if you are in the kitchen and say 'alexa, turn on the lights' Alexa knows to turn on all kitchen lights.
That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you! You are "THE ALEXA" guru. :-)
Ron Derkis

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 07:40:50 am »

Sorry for the "fun" response... but it was the correct answer. LOL

The above quote is what I was thinking you would like to know. I was headed here this morning to fill in the blanks as I was short on time when I made my original response... Abruptly interrupted by a pseudo emergency toilet running on... It wasn't really all that big of a deal, and there was no mess happening, but my wife was a little excited and I soon forgot about the original question and moved to other things...  My Apologies, but I hope you maybe smiled at the response as well... Life's too short to be cranky. Even for a 71 year old person.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

rderkis

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 09:04:13 am »
Quote from: scottrods
qUOTE scottrods. The easiest way is to make groups.

Oh sure. You knew it all the time.

mike27oct

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 03:21:17 pm »
Quote >>> "For instance I have a Kitchen Group that includes all kitchen lights and the kitchen echo."

People. to include the kitchen echo (or ANY Alexa device) in a Group is NOT necessary.  As I said before, I can turn on a TP-Link smart plug AND/OR a Group from ANY room in house, I do not have to be in the Living Room to turn on lights.  I can be upstairs in the master bath and tell the Echo in there to turn on the living room and they turn on!

I don't think I can be more clear about this.

And for  rderkis: Why not act your age, and keep your snide remarks to yourself.