Echo & Alexa Forums

Is Anyone Using the Native Texting Feature?

malliekm

Is Anyone Using the Native Texting Feature?
« on: February 15, 2018, 10:51:39 pm »
I've tested it a couple of times but find it a bit un-nerving that it doesn't confirm what I'm saying and ask if I'd like to send or redo the text. 

Laurel

Re: Is Anyone Using the Native Texting Feature?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 11:28:39 am »
I'm using it and it is handy.  I agree that it is a little unnerving to send the text unread.  One big plus as they say it is only available in the USA, but I have my device registered on Amazon.com instead of Amazon.ca and it works just fine in Canada for sending texts via voice.

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:11:08 am »
Thanks Laurel.  I think I'll refrain from using it to text customers and just text DH and our daughter.  They already know I'm a buffoon  ;D

Laurel

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 12:51:06 pm »
Good idea malliekm. I made a test to hubby saying "hidey ho".  He received "hi Idaho". Lol

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 05:07:16 pm »
Good idea malliekm. I made a test to hubby saying "hidey ho".  He received "hi Idaho". Lol

LOL!  I just found out last night that the HomePod does SMS texting too.  I wonder if it has a safeguard before sending texts?  If/when GH releases this feature, I SURE hope they do.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 05:28:31 pm »

LOL!  I just found out last night that the HomePod does SMS texting too.  I wonder if it has a safeguard before sending texts?  If/when GH releases this feature, I SURE hope they do.

Though I don't know about GH, the Apple Home Pod will read back your text before offering to send it. They have a video for you to see it in action even... It probably won't be as robust in usable features at release, but will eventually get to the level we are at with google home and Echo.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Laurel

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 07:33:14 pm »
Scottrods I'm not sure we are able to bring in another device.  Already we are shouting out to various devices  "hey siri on hubby's iphone , okay google on my Samsung, hey Bixby on the Samsung, and Alexa".  We aren't sure what the dog's name is anymore lol. 

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 09:03:43 pm »
Scottrods I'm not sure we are able to bring in another device.  Already we are shouting out to various devices  "hey siri on hubby's iphone , okay google on my Samsung, hey Bixby on the Samsung, and Alexa".  We aren't sure what the dog's name is anymore lol.

Just sayin'... LOL I had just read their article and watched the video minutes prior to reading this thread... Figured I'd muddy the waters as much as possible.  ;D
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

malliekm

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 09:05:10 pm »
I know what my dog's name is, but that doesn't keep me from saying "Hey Google" when I meant to say  "hey Howie" :O

Laurel

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 10:56:29 pm »
I know what my dog's name is, but that doesn't keep me from saying "Hey Google" when I meant to say  "hey Howie" :O

Same thing this week when hubby was going to take Annie-Lou (Bernedoodle) out to pee "come on Alexa let's go outside".  lol  Dogs are getting confused too. lol

Laurel

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 03:55:51 pm »
I just used Alexa to text message my husband a lengthy message.  I did read what I sent a few minutes later after I got a message from him asking me if I was having a stroke? lol The message was total gibberish and I spoke slowly and clearly when dictating.  I think we do need the feature where we can have it read back to us before it is sent.  I will email Amazon with my two cents.

malliekm

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 02:00:19 am »
Having a stroke?  Good one LOL  Yeah, I'm not going to rely on any hands free texting if I can't hear it first and give my blessing to send.  I've had the Mastermind skill for months and I used to use that with Alexa for texting.  It reads back what you said and asks if  you want to send.  Just found out that Mastermind works with GH now but I can't seem to link the device and the app.  When I get this figured out I'll use it till the texting feature comes to GH.

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 03:25:46 am »
I just saw this post for first time, and since I have awful vision. I have dictated text and emails to Siri on iphone and ipad when I first got them years ago.  After I finish them, I take out my magnifying glass to look for errors and edit them before ever sending.  These things do a good job, but maybe I could enunciate better and there would be fewer errors.

Bottom line, although this can be a faster way to get the message created, too many errors occur and there is no way I will send an important message this way to anyone unless I see the results before hitting Send unless my message was a one or two word comment. I would never use the feature on Alexa, as I have had a lot of voice composing of text with dodgy results.