Echo & Alexa Forums

Lights off problem

manuel22z

Lights off problem
« on: February 23, 2018, 06:38:26 pm »
when the electricity goes out, the lights come on and remain permanently on, although when I leave the house I leave them off and in many countries there are electric power cuts, almost daily, this is a big problem that the lights do not remember when you I leave it off and if you go on a trip many days and there is a power cut when you return, the lights will be all on.

Re: Lights off problem
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 07:07:14 pm »
I know what you mean, the house is lit up like a christmas tree.  as far as I know there really is nothing you can do about it.  I have three different brands of bulbs and they all do the same - had to setup a group for all the bulbs so I can turn them all off at once.   the way I have it set up when away, I have a drop cam which will email me when power goes off by saying not connected.  once I get the email, I can check with the camera (when I assume the power is back on) and see if the lights are on in the rooms where the cameras are located.  then I can turn them off. 

stusviews

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 09:04:00 pm »
That doesn't happen with Insteon products, not even Insteon LED bulbs.

k9kids

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 11:00:58 pm »
Have to agree about Insteon mentioned above.

None of my lights come on after a power outage. They're either fluorescent or incandescent bulbs though. ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:08:03 pm by k9kids »

mindmagic

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 04:04:02 am »
The best way of dealing with this seems to be to set up routines (I use the Hue app) to turn all lights off at a specific time, 1 am for example. If they are already off this just gets ignored. As renegade600 says, put them all into a single group to make this easier.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 05:09:04 pm »
That doesn't happen with Insteon products, not even Insteon LED bulbs.

it is one of those features you don't know about until after the fact.  so most will get bulbs thats cheaper  :-) 

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 05:13:00 pm »

The best way of dealing with this seems to be to set up routines (I use the Hue app) to turn all lights off at a specific time, 1 am for example. If they are already off this just gets ignored. As renegade600 says, put them all into a single group to make this easier.

that is a good idea, wished I thought of that.  never gave it a second thought since I have been relying on the dropcam emails since before routines came out.