Echo & Alexa Forums

I give up

I give up
« on: June 24, 2017, 05:17:21 pm »
usually I can figure things out for myself but this has me bamboozled.  I guess I could blame it on the caffeine headache I got. 

I have a phillips hue motion sensor setup to turn on some hue lights.  that part works great but I want to also make it location aware too as part of a security setup.   How???

thanks

malliekm

Re: I give up
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 09:09:31 pm »
Call technical support for one or both products.  Disregard this reply if you've already tried that  ;D. I know, tech support usually my last option too!

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 09:29:38 pm »
i don't do tech support - I hate making phone calls and I hate answering phones  :-)

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:28:47 pm »
Well, I had to call tech support today.  You see, I did a restore task on my Win 7.  All went well, except a task called AutoFix barfed and did not go back on.  Turned out it was a Norton Security program.  I went through the drill NS program had me do, and it said I needed to do a removal and reinstall of NS.  It removed it alright, but did not reinstall properly.  So, last night I reinstalled it manually.  All okay, except the remove and restore program returned each time I rebooted PC.  Grrr.

So today I called Norton and the fix for this was to remove/delete the RnR.exe program from my download folder, because each time NS was started it looked in that folder, and if it saw RnR.exe it restarted it.  Not such a good idea to do that.  And, removing it and doing an update of NS put Humpty Dumpty back together again!  I was baffled, so I'm glad I called Norton Help.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 11:56:16 pm »
Well, I had to call tech support today.  You see, I did a restore task on my Win 7.  All went well, except a task called AutoFix barfed and did not go back on.  Turned out it was a Norton Security program.  I went through the drill NS program had me do, and it said I needed to do a removal and reinstall of NS.  It removed it alright, but did not reinstall properly.  So, last night I reinstalled it manually.  All okay, except the remove and restore program returned each time I rebooted PC.  Grrr.

So today I called Norton and the fix for this was to remove/delete the RnR.exe program from my download folder, because each time NS was started it looked in that folder, and if it saw RnR.exe it restarted it.  Not such a good idea to do that.  And, removing it and doing an update of NS put Humpty Dumpty back together again!  I was baffled, so I'm glad I called Norton Help.

tech support may be needed for some but not all. there are always alternatives where you can get help - including this forum. 

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 02:10:11 am »
Well, I pay good money each year for this program subscription, and it has hardly given me any trouble over many years.  So, the people who make it can get it fixed for me when it needs it.  Saves me a lot of googling.  Anytime I have called them I get good help.  This time was no different; the guy knew what my problem was and he wanted to do a remote hookup, but i told him if it's something I could deal with on my end to tell me, and he did and stood by on phone while we waited for the PC reboot to complete to see if that really was the problem and that it was now gone.  I consider remote hookup a very last option and decline it most every time.

To compare Norton Security's help assistance to this forum is like apples and oranges, i.e. a sophisticated software's crash vs. simple gadgets some people can't figure out how to turn on and off, reboot, or setup because many did not RTFM.  Not comparable.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 04:10:07 am »
Well, I pay good money each year for this program subscription, and it has hardly given me any trouble over many years.  So, the people who make it can get it fixed for me when it needs it.  Saves me a lot of googling.  Anytime I have called them I get good help.  This time was no different; the guy knew what my problem was and he wanted to do a remote hookup, but i told him if it's something I could deal with on my end to tell me, and he did and stood by on phone while we waited for the PC reboot to complete to see if that really was the problem and that it was now gone.  I consider remote hookup a very last option and decline it most every time.

To compare Norton Security's help assistance to this forum is like apples and oranges, i.e. a sophisticated software's crash vs. simple gadgets some people can't figure out how to turn on and off, reboot, or setup because many did not RTFM.  Not comparable.

don't knocked it if you have never tried it.  I can think of several tech forums that would have helped you without you having to call customer service.  In addition most advanced users will not touch nortons with a 10 foot pole.  It is a waste of money and can cause problems - as you found out. 

It is always better to have someone who has real world experience helping than someone who is working from a script.   that is why I go to forums when I have issues. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 05:21:49 am by renegade600 »

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 01:24:53 pm »
I have tried it more than you, I cannot agree less, and besides that I do not give a damn.  I know that NS is a great program, but like anything, things can go wrong.  Maybe it was Windows restore that hosed things.  Thanks for your opinion, tho.