Echo & Alexa Forums

Benefits of a Smart Thermostat vs Digital Programable

malliekm

Benefits of a Smart Thermostat vs Digital Programable
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:08:58 pm »
We have a Honeywell digital programmable thermostat.  How would a smart thermostat be beneficial (save us money)?  True, I can't change the temperature from the other end of the house or the other side of the world.  I'm ok with that 1st world problem for right now!  I don't work.  I'm here all day so being able to cool down the house before I get home isn't a problem.  If I'm going to be out for a few hours, I turn the AC up to 78.  It stays on 74-75 when I'm home (this is most of the year since we live in TX)  I would only be interested in a smart thermostat if it somehow saved us money on our electrical bill.  Is this something that would be beneficial economically or would it just be a convenience thing for us?
Thanks

Re: Benefits of a Smart Thermostat vs Digital Programable
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 10:32:03 pm »
not sure which honeywell you have but I also have the Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Honeywell Thermostat (RTH6580WF).  It is more about convenience than saving money.  cannot tell you if you will save money because it is all about your habits and any changes if you were to get a smart wifi thermostat. 

Offline kevb

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 10:46:40 pm »
I agree, it's more about convenience. I have a smart thermostat, and it will only save you money if you leave for an extended stay and forget to set it higher before you go. I am away from home from time to time, so for me it is nice to be able to adjust the temp so that the house is comfortable when I arrive.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 11:15:29 pm »
Thanks guys.  That's what I thought but I keep hearing and reading how a smart thermostat will save you money.  Thought maybe I was missing something. 
This is mine.  I don't know the model #  I don't think the slight (in our case) convenience would be worth it.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 11:17:25 pm »
Monica, I have same situation as you.  Since I cannot drive anymore I am home a lot.  No matter, there is plenty to do here.  We also have an effective programmable Honeywell, but also have a gifted Nest still in box for a couple of years.  No real reason to hook it up, since we are always tweaking the AC and heat.  We keep our AC set between 72 - 70; (we sleep at 70 under a light blanket)  In winter we sleep at 67, keep it at 68 during day and sleep under same type of light blanket.  Bottom line is we do not need the Nest, and on trips we just keep the house about 5 degrees offset from normal, and when we get home it doesn't take long to to get to our desired temp.  House plants like temp above 60 degrees, too.  Our yr2000 house is well insulated, and that helps a heck of a lot.

Nevertheless, you are itching to get a smart thermostat so just do it!

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 12:06:17 am »
Thanks guys.  That's what I thought but I keep hearing and reading how a smart thermostat will save you money.  Thought maybe I was missing something. 
This is mine.  I don't know the model #  I don't think the slight (in our case) convenience would be worth it.

a smart thermostat will save you money IF you are replacing the old fashion type with a mercury switch  :-)   I saved about 15 bucks a month after going to a programmable thermostat years ago. 

malliekm

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 12:07:48 am »
Oh I think I'll save my money on this one :)  I'm just such a gadget person I was looking for a reason to have one but as I suspected, there really isn't one.
You sure have a lot more patience than do (GH).  Hope it's in mailbox tomorrow!

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 12:35:40 am »
Oh I think I'll save my money on this one :)  I'm just such a gadget person I was looking for a reason to have one but as I suspected, there really isn't one.
You sure have a lot more patience than do (GH).  Hope it's in mailbox tomorrow!

yea, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to change the temperature from the comfort of your recliner or bed :-)  or say you are leaving for a few hours but forgot to change the thermostat, you can tell alexa to change it instead of walking to the thermostat to change it  :-)

malliekm

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 02:20:48 am »
Every great one in a while I'll forget to turn the air up when I leave so yes that would be nice to be able to use my phone to set it to an "away" temp.  Stop trying to talk me into it!  I can be pushed over the edge very easily :o

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 02:07:41 pm »
The price of these wi-fi thermostats (e.g. Nest) are ridiculous for the benefits received.

How's this for talking you out of it!

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 02:33:34 pm »
The price of these wi-fi thermostats (e.g. Nest) are ridiculous for the benefits received.

How's this for talking you out of it!

I agree but if you are into gadgets and convenience, it is worth it.  I only paid 99 bucks for the honeywell.    I would never pay for a next thermostat or some of the others thats over 200 bucks. 

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 05:37:25 pm »
Mine was a gift; Amazon showed $199.  Don't tell my daughter I've never set it up!

malliekm

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 07:20:58 pm »
I like blue MUCHO more!  And I like multi-colored options and this one is.  And I like the outdoor temp and in/outdoor humidity level feature.  I just like the whole format better.