3 or more
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 7

How many Amazon Echos do you own?

mike27oct

Re: How many Amazon Echos do you own?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 08:54:02 pm »
Currently have:

1 Echo (I actually listen to Tunein music on it mostly)

2 Taps (also for music)

4 Dots in action;  2-gen 1, and one is permanently for audio out/music to stereo
2-gen2, not really for music, and one (5th unit still un-opened0

3 smart plug minis in use, (and one more un-opened)

Jamd19

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 09:46:42 am »
Have 2 Dots, and smart bulbs. Looking to buy another dot for my sons room, and maybe some smart plugs. Does anyone have a dot in their bathroom? Is it even safe to have one in the bathroom? Could have it on a shelf so it doesn't get wet, but what about the steam from the shower? Just wondering. It would be nice to listen to my flash briefing while getting ready in the morning.

malliekm

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 12:08:26 pm »
I have one in our master bathroom.  It's been there since Christmas 2016.  No shower in this bathroom but there is an air jetted tub that creates steam.  No problem so far but we do have a good ventilation fan so steam hasn't been an issue.

dan8379

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 01:14:50 pm »
one Echo, one Tap, and one Dot.

malliekm

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 02:30:09 pm »
Oh, I have 3 TP-Link smart outlet minis (no hub required) and will be getting a (single) TP-Link smart switch soon if it will work with my existing double gang wall switch.

mike27oct

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 02:35:10 pm »
Monica, don't forget to order more stinkin' TP bulbs, too.   ;)

malliekm

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 03:24:15 pm »
Oh I don't think I need no stinkin' TP (or any) smart light bulb ;)

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 09:27:43 pm »

Smart Bulbs are The greatest! Why no Smart bulbs? I only have a few but love being able to turn off one light as I exit and another before I get there...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

malliekm

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 11:17:53 pm »
scottrods, I have regular (incandescents) bulbs connected to TP-Link smart outlets.  Desired outcome is the same...turn lights on and off by voice.  I bought a TP-Link bulb that has 16 million colors.  It was squirrel-y.  With an excellent wifi signal all over the house, the color changing was delayed or wouldn't change at all.  I sent it back.  All of the overhead lighting in our house are on dimmers.  I'm pretty sure I read, on the TP-Link smart bulb directions, not to put these lights on dimmer switches.  Did I?

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 02:08:13 pm »
None of my current bulbs are color bulbs... Haven't really gotten that far into it yet but will one day soon I am sure. I plan on using the Strips in my kitchen to replace 8 3 foot Fluorescent fixtures inside a huge "light box"... drop in grid with the plastic diffuser panels in them... I've had nothing but problems with the Fluorescents for years and now see a viable cost effective way to eliminate them and have some fun as well. I'll probably hang a Hue Tap Switch in place of the standard light switch when I do it.

All of my Hue Bulbs are plain warm white, DIMMABLE LED bulbs. Their pricing is very do-able for most at $14.97  apiece. The Bridge was the hard part at 50 bucks or whatever I paid... I just bit the bullet knowing I'll only buy one for this house. The cool part is being able to turn them on and off as needed from a different room to avoid running around in the dark... however it's even cooler to set them at whatever dimmed level by voice as well... I tell Alexa "Corner Light 50%" and she makes it happen. Can go to any brightness 1% to 100%... I also have the phone app so I don't have to talk to make it happen after others are in bed asleep...

I studied all the brands and models and decided I'd like for my parts and pieces to work even if the Seevers go down at the manufacturer's place... so I can maintain control through my Wifi and repair any issues that may arise from connection failures and such. I just don't like depending on others to repair something I should maintain control of.. personal decision I think.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 04:26:27 pm »

Smart Bulbs are The greatest! Why no Smart bulbs? I only have a few but love being able to turn off one light as I exit and another before I get there...

the thing about smart bulbs is you always have to leave the switch in the on position.  if you have company or family members over who are not used to voice, they will use your switch.  then you will have to make sure they are back in the on position before you can use voice again. 

having the wall switch echo compatible eliminates this problem.  I have bulbs because I rent an apartment but I too would have prefer to have the wall switches. 

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 08:51:46 pm »

the thing about smart bulbs is you always have to leave the switch in the on position.  if you have company or family members over who are not used to voice, they will use your switch.  then you will have to make sure they are back in the on position before you can use voice again. 

having the wall switch echo compatible eliminates this problem.  I have bulbs because I rent an apartment but I too would have prefer to have the wall switches.

I can understand that completely! We are old folks and we don't have a constant flow of folks coming and going... However, The Grandkids are great with them so far, but for some reason they can't remember to NOT Turn off the AV stuff (they play the Video games and always turn off the Playstation manually)... when I go to turn everything off, half of it comes on as the IR stuff has no communication to the Hub/Bridge to tell it the current status, as the smart bulbs do. Turning the Smart bulbs back on with a switch just turns them "on", then they communicate with the hub and you can then turn them off by app or voice (Alexa). Since we don't have a lot of visitors this is pretty solid at our house. If we had a lot of traffic it would likely drive me nuts too. I studied it a bit before buying... almost went with the Smart plugs and switches... It's a good option for sure.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro