Echo & Alexa Forums

Custom Message to spreadsheet

monakkan

Custom Message to spreadsheet
« on: January 07, 2016, 11:27:48 am »
Hello

I am trying to use Alexa to add my blood sugar "number" to a row on a google sheet I created specially for this.

For instance, using IFTTT. " Alexa, Trigger sugar level" then I say the number of my glucose level and then Alexa will add that number including the date and time to the spreadsheet.

Offline jwlv

Re: Custom Message to spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 03:07:28 pm »
Looks like you'll need to add the Amazon Alexa channel:
https://ifttt.com/amazon_alexa

and the Google Spreadsheet action:
https://ifttt.com/recipes/191995-add-to-a-google-spreadsheet

As for extracting the number and putting it into the spreadsheet, that may take some tinkering.

fstbusa

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 03:25:12 pm »
I'm assuming he can already write to a spreadsheet using IFTTT....getting a specific value will be tricky.  If your glucose is always within a certain range, you could create a rule for each value.... IE: Alexa, trigger blood glucose 85, or trigger blood glucose 86, trigger blood glucose 95.... then each rule would right that value to the spreadsheet....

Seems like a silly way of accomplishing that task but unless you write your own Echo skill, I don't think there is an easy to accomplish writing a specific value.

GadgetGirl

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:28:53 am »
You know they make Bluetooth glucose meters that pair with your phone and send the results to your phone.

steveb4088

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 06:21:02 pm »
I wanna bump this thread because i want to do something similar and this idea has potential for many things. Calories, mileage, glucose levels, fitness numbers like weight loss and anything that is just a pain to log into a computer daily or weekly.

If anyone finds a solution to this please let me know. I would like to log my mileage to a spreadsheet because i drive a lot for my job. (Amazon Flex)

It would be nice to say, "alexa trigger mileage log 60 miles today" and have it input to a spreadsheet for tax time. I think this would have many other uses if numbers specifically would work i didnt see a simple way to do this with spreadsheets

thanks

fstbusa

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 09:17:00 am »
rather than try and re-invent the wheel... check out all the skills... there are atleast 4-5 skills for tracking blood sugar.  They sound exactly what you want other than where the info is stored.

Chris__M

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 05:03:32 pm »
A convoluted way of doing it, using existing skills and integrations. I am currently doing something similar as a simple calorie tracker. It is a real fudge, but it is working. The only difference for me is that I am using Integromat, rather than IFTTT, but the principle is the same.

1. Install Tweet It skill. This lets you say things to Alexa, and the result is tweeted. If you do not want to use your existing twitter account (if you have one), simply register a new one for this use alone.

1a. You can either say "Alexa, ask Tweet It <content>" or simply say "Alexa, ask Tweet It" and wait for Alexa to respond with "What should I tweet on your timeline". Although it takes a little longer, I find the second is more reliable.

1b. You want to keep your content simple as possible, to avoid having to parse a tweet. I would suggest you just say the number. Also, it is better to say "2 3 2" (i.e. "two three two") than "two hundred and thirty two". This is because Alexa will sometimes parse the latter as "232" (good) or "Two hundred and 32" (bad). Saying individual digits always gives you the right result. (Note that when you say "232", Alexa *will* reply "two hundred and thirty two. Is that right? It is - Alexa will write "232" to Twitter.

2. Then use your IFTTT account to read the tweets as they are written, and write them to your spreadsheet, along with a date/time stamp as appropriate.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:11:19 pm by Chris__M »