Echo & Alexa Forums

BBC iPlayer Radio?

Resonance

Re: BBC iPlayer Radio?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 08:22:21 am »
When I ask it to play BBC world service it just says "Hmmm I can't find that podcast". Other BBC stations work fine.

strayfish

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 09:15:56 am »
When I ask it to play BBC world service it just says "Hmmm I can't find that podcast". Other BBC stations work fine.
When I tried, it gave me the world service but through Tunein. A work in progress!

Resonance

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 04:51:16 pm »
When I tried, it gave me the world service but through Tunein. A work in progress!

Yes, that happens to me if I don't specifically say "Ask BBC"

strayfish

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 05:39:45 pm »
Hm, well with 5Live and 6Music I don't have to 'Ask BBC', I get BBC whether I like it or not! Maybe they just haven't got round to the World service yet. I haven't tried any local stations, have you?

Resonance

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 06:05:12 pm »

Yes, that happens to me if I don't specifically say "Ask BBC"

If I just ask for a local BBC station it does it through Tunein. If I specifically ask BBC then it plays through that.

strayfish

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 04:49:14 am »
It's changed again! Today when I ask for Radio 6, I get the BBC which then asks which station I want. I've a feeling tolerance of uncertainty and inconsistency is going to be a valuable personal quality for a while!

Resonance

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 05:56:30 am »
It's changed again! Today when I ask for Radio 6, I get the BBC which then asks which station I want. I've a feeling tolerance of uncertainty and inconsistency is going to be a valuable personal quality for a while!

Indeed. It's early days yet. I'm sure they'll iron things out.

I did email them about adding radio catch up. They said there are going to be a lot of new features in the new year and will take my request on board. Could be a first class skill if they get it right. Fingers crossed  :)

strayfish

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 06:59:37 am »
It's in their interests for sure. Podcasts are hard to get to at the moment, and if you have Show, there might be access to the likes of Click. Meanwhile, pickily I'd like the station logo to be shown as it does via Tunein instead of just a quaver or whatever it is!

Resonance

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 05:32:49 am »
I'm finding the BBC skill is dropping the stream fairly regularly now. No such problems on Tunein.

strayfish

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 09:32:01 am »
Really? No drops here - yet - but Tunein dropped all the time. Wonder if that's a regional signal issue.

Resonance

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 09:42:34 am »
Really? No drops here - yet - but Tunein dropped all the time. Wonder if that's a regional signal issue.

It's weird, because I've heard about a lot of people having trouble with Tunein, but I regularly listen for 8 hours+ with no issues. The new BBC Skill's streams for me usually last about 20 minutes to an hour before dropping, never to return (unless I ask the BBC skill to play a station again).

strayfish

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 11:56:57 am »
That's my experience in reverse! I wonder how the Beeb is transmitting its signal - same as DAB radio or some other route? That might make a difference. But then what do I know?  ;D

Resonance

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 01:32:42 pm »
Over the internet.

I would have thought all the Skills, BBC, Tunein and RadioPlayer are connecting to the same BBC internet streams, but then I'm not sure how to explain the different reliability we're experiencing.

strayfish

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 02:27:54 pm »
It's wizardry, obviously, no other possible explanation. And sometimes the wizard is pernickety, a bit hungover, or just plain antsy so he messes with the communication imps.
And on that note ...  ;D

Resonance

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 02:46:12 pm »
Just been listening to Radio 2 on the BBC skill. It abruptly cut off after about 10 minutes. It obviously doesn't like me lol :D