Echo & Alexa Forums

Issuing non verbal commands

Bremhillbob

Issuing non verbal commands
« on: April 23, 2018, 06:09:44 am »
Hi all,
I'm a newcomer to the forum with a question I'm sure has been answered 101 times before so please forgive me (I have looked but couldn't find old threads).

Firstly, I'd like to issue commands to my Echo without actually saying them out loud - I am still quite self concious when I speak to the device in the presence of others.

The second (related) question is that I'd like to have a button that I could press that would stop the alarm in the morning.  The spot button does this I know but the echo is on one side of the bed and I'd like to switch it off from the other side.

Anyone any thoughts?

Bob

Re: Issuing non verbal commands
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 07:00:34 am »

Firstly, I'd like to issue commands to my Echo without actually saying them out loud - I am still quite self concious when I speak to the device in the presence of others.

The second (related) question is that I'd like to have a button that I could press that would stop the alarm in the morning.  The spot button does this I know but the echo is on one side of the bed and I'd like to switch it off from the other side.

Anyone any thoughts?

Bob
Use your Phone, tablet, or PC and the app.

Bremhillbob

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 07:39:52 am »
I imagine that there must be a way to use the app but blowed if I can find it!

I wonder if there is a way I could create a shortcut on my tablet that could issue a command?

Any thoughts about the hardware 'button'?

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 07:45:43 am »
Use the app that you would use with whatever Smart device you have. I have Hue and Harmony hub and Lyric Thermostat and use the apps that go with each when it's later at night and others would be awakened by me speaking. Lyric app for the lyric, Harmony for the Harmony, Hue for the lights... keeps it quiet and lets me have full control of things I want to control.

If you just want to get your Brief or something Alexa alone  is the mechanism for... I think it may be nearly impossible to do that, as that is her sole purpose, Voice Command.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Bremhillbob

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:45:39 am »
Thanks scottrods .... I thought that this might be the case .... I've spent a few hours online and could find nothing.

Yes .... its Alexa specific ...... just simple commands like 'stop' or silence the alarm.  It'd be nice to have a quick way to do this if I don't have easy access to the unit and don't want to speak.

I was hoping that there may be a 3rd party way round it using ittt or something similar.

Can you type commands into the alexa App?  If so then it would be perfect if I could create a little macro to do that automatically..... I could make the macro triggered by anything really.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 08:50:51 am »
I imagine that there must be a way to use the app but blowed if I can find it!

I wonder if there is a way I could create a shortcut on my tablet that could issue a command?

Any thoughts about the hardware 'button'?
You could probably create a shortcut to a IFTTT command (depending on what your looking to do)
As for a Hardware button to stop your alarm you could just rig something up that cuts the power to your Echo.

Offline kenf

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 09:32:24 am »
I'm thinking that maybe a voice recognition system isn't for you.

For home automation, the usual best practice is to get a smart hub that controls all the devices (like Wemo or SmartThings) and use the app for that.  Then Alexa bolts on and passes voice commands to those devices.  Thus, you have the app or Alexa to use to issue a command to turn something off.

for your alarm clock problem.  An Echo is not an alarm clock.  Spot is.  So is an alarm clock.  Get the right tool for the job and it will have a button to do what you want.

Bremhillbob

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 10:08:16 am »
As long as there isn't an off the shelf solution that I've missed.

I suspect that KenF is partially right in that maybe I'm expecting something from echo than it can deliver. I haven't started the home automation journey yet so the control of external devices isnt the issue. I was hoping that Echo was more of a 'personal assistant'.

I note that text commands look fairly straightforward with Google home and maybe the 'virtual assistant' element of that unit is a little stronger/more flexible though I'm sure they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks for the replies .... I guess if you guys don't know of anything then I'm safe to assume that there isn't anything and I can 'move on'.

Bob

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 03:15:51 pm »

An Echo is not an alarm clock. Spot is.  So is an alarm clock.  Get the right tool for the job and it will have a button to do what you want.
An Echo DOT 2nd gen is.  Which Echo device are you fonting about that is not an alarm clock?  The tall cylinder looking one?

Bremhillbob

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 04:33:36 pm »
I still find it hard to think that this 'can't happen (regardless of whether anyone things is a good idea or not)

The sort of thing I had in mind was the use of 1btn or My Strom - both are buttons that connect to your wifi and send IfTTT commands.  I don't know about 'dash' but Flic also looks like a possibility

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 06:27:02 pm »
1btn looks cool, however most internal echo(alexa) controls aren't accessable out side the Alexa app.

You most likely can't cancel the alarm but if you had an external speaker connected which also had WiFi you could mute it.
Maybe sonos speakers?

Offline kenf

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 07:17:06 pm »

An Echo is not an alarm clock. Spot is.  So is an alarm clock.  Get the right tool for the job and it will have a button to do what you want.
An Echo DOT 2nd gen is.  Which Echo device are you fonting about that is not an alarm clock?  The tall cylinder looking one?

I meant in the more traditional sense of having a snooze and stop button like a traditional alarm clock