Echo & Alexa Forums

Linking Alexa to TP-Link smart bulbs

JB

Linking Alexa to TP-Link smart bulbs
« on: January 13, 2018, 04:15:26 pm »
The TP-Link smart bulb says it does not require a router (smart plug, I'm guessing?) but I can't seem to get Alexa to identify the bulb and turn it on or off. I CAN turn it on/off via the TP-Link Kasa app. 
Do I need to invest in a smart plug in order to get Alexa to turn it on/off on a schedule or on command? TIA

Snakeyes

Re: Linking Alexa to TP-Link smart bulbs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 04:31:57 pm »
You do not need another piece of hardware. If the Kasa app can turn it on and off, then theoretically Alexa should work with it.
I presume you have linked Alexa with your Kasa account and then asked Alexa to discover devices ? Also, you have to make sure that the socket to which the bulb is attached is turned on when doing this.
Without these steps Alexa will be blind to the Kasa smart bulb. If the bulb is still not discovered
you will have to reboot it and try again. I would suggest the entire process once again after disabling and then re-enabling the Kasa skill.

JB

Re: Linking Alexa to TP-Link smart bulbs
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 05:03:02 pm »
Thank you for the tips. I rebooted Alexa and everything fell into place... finally. I wish I had done that an hour and a half earlier!