Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Plus is not responding to any commands

skierbum

Echo Plus is not responding to any commands
« on: November 10, 2017, 03:16:56 pm »
I have a new Echo Plus and set it up correctly.  It worked great so I was very happy.  However, a few hours later, when I use the wake word, Alexa, the blue light spins but doesn't respond to any of my commands.  It spins then turns off and does not perform any of my commands.  I unplugged it to reboot it.  Sometimes that work, but most of the time it just remains unresponsive.  I got tired of it and thought it may be defective, so I exchanged it with Amazon.  My new Echo Plus acts exactly the same.  Works initially, then becomes unresponsive.  Sometimes it will respond, but mostly it doesn't.  Is anyone else having this issue?  I't frustrating me since it appears that this device can be really useful and cool.  Help!

Re: Echo Plus is not responding to any commands
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 07:03:06 pm »
Sounds like a router issue. You'll need to look at your routers Wi-Fi settings some allow you to set the max number of connections which maybe set to low or a lease time may need to be adjusted. What brand is your router?

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:11:46 pm »
try doing a power cycle on the router.  unplug it for a 10 count then plug back in. 

how far is the echo from the router?  what is the routers model number?

skierbum

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 07:46:56 pm »
I have an Asus AC2400.  It's about 20 feet from the Echo.

zaphod

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 05:15:27 pm »
isn't that router a dual band? correct me if i am wrong but i thought the echo only works with 2.4 not 5.8ghz. other than that have you checked to see if possibly your wifi channel has overlap? maybe change channels if there is an issue there. or as you mentioned possible echo hardware issue. trouble shooting can be a pain no doubt.

MikeA

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:24:54 am »
I am having the exact same issue as skierbum. My new Echoplus just quits working. I talk and it spins and quits, go back an  hour later and it works fine. I am 10 feet from my router, I am a programmer and yes my router is fine and no I dont have any other issues with my network.  Totally random when it quits and totally random when it decides to start working again.  I have gone the whole ten yards with  resets and logging in again, logging on a diff network etc etc.   
I dont believe this is me or my problem.   Too many others with the same issue.    JMHO

zaphod

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 04:14:24 pm »
I am having the exact same issue as skierbum. My new Echoplus just quits working. I talk and it spins and quits, go back an  hour later and it works fine. I am 10 feet from my router, I am a programmer and yes my router is fine and no I dont have any other issues with my network.  Totally random when it quits and totally random when it decides to start working again.  I have gone the whole ten yards with  resets and logging in again, logging on a diff network etc etc.   
I dont believe this is me or my problem.   Too many others with the same issue.    JMHO

well now i am in the same boat too. the symptoms the essentially the same. only impacting the echo plus. today alone i had to power cycle twice as it locked up with the blue/white ring on. i put in the entire network for our town so based on the posts it isn't just newbs experiencing this ???. looks like tomorrow i'll have to make time to contact amazon about a replacement. if i am provided any helpful information from them i will be sure to add that to this thread.