Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Show and Alexa app on iphone not working

Kareninardh

Echo Show and Alexa app on iphone not working
« on: January 02, 2018, 04:31:05 pm »
Happy New Year!

I just want to say thank you for the information you all share! 

Just purchased a new Echo Show for my mother-in-law (MIL) and after literally days and days of trying to troubleshoot, I'm about to give up. My husband is upset it’s taking so much time. The problem right now is trying to “drop in” or “call” to or from her echo show while using the Alexa app from my iPhone.  I keep getting the message that “so and so” is unavailable even though I have enabled everything and using both devices in front of me. 

MIL is an 83-year-old and is unable to remember or do anything with technology, so I needed something as simple as possible to communicate with her and the “drop-in” feature appeared to be the answer for us.  She can’t even push a picture button on her landline to call us and she doesn’t have a cell number any longer.  I’m beginning to think it can’t be done.  Mind you, she lives a few hours away and I’m trying to set this up at my house before bringing it to her to set up on her wi-fi. 
In case others are having some of the same issues, I will post the details below to hopefully save you time in research to troubleshoot. 

What I've done so far (not necessarily in this order) and hasn't worked: 
•   Made sure my IOS and apps were all updated on my iPhone
•   I deregistered the new Echo Show device from my amazon account
•   created a separate Amazon account in her name
•   registered the new echo show device in her name
•   updated the echo show
•   I created an account through Google so I can use and link Google calendar to her Echo show
•   I created a “Google Voice” phone number, free, that I used for her Alexa app account (Note:  I had to add this new phone number to her contact info on my iPhone so that she would show up in the Alexa app or device as an Alexa contact)
•   Before logging in to Alexa app and synching contacts: I temporarily edited my iPhone contact list to delete any non-family members we didn’t want showing up on her app/device (I did this on my laptop using Outlook by removing the non-family contacts from outlook to a separate folder on my desktop.  This way I can move them back later when logged out of her Alexa app account.  If you don’t synch your phone contacts to outlook on your computer, you will have to find another way to edit and synch)
•   I then synched my contact list to my iPhone, still before logging in to Alexa app
•   Created an Alexa account for her using the app on my iPhone
•   Logged in under her Alexa account on my phone using the Alexa app and the new Google Voice number to enable the calling feature
•   updated my “edited” contact list to her Alexa app account
•   Enabled “drop in” for her as well as myself and other family members (blocked any others from dropping in)
•   logged in to Alexa App online for settings, pictures, etc. to use family pics as slideshows and background
•   I logged out of her account using Alexa and logged in to mine.  Updated my contacts, drop-in and calling etc. 
•   I restarted my iPhone, the echo show, deregistered all devices and tried again and again. 

Sorry if this is not enough or too much information.  😉  And thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Karen