Echo & Alexa Forums

Stealthy Recording??

Marks3m3

Stealthy Recording??
« on: January 02, 2018, 09:49:43 am »
I was scrolling though the voice recording history of a recently acquired Dot 2 and found a brief recording that I did not invoke.
Can anyone explain this?
I won't use these devices if they record without my knowledge.

m

Offline kevb

Re: Stealthy Recording??
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 10:22:32 am »
could it have been from a TV show or radio? Sometimes the device thinks it heard a wake word and responds accordingly. That has happened to many people.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 10:32:13 am »
I agree, it happens sometimes.  It can happen from tv, radio or even normal conversations.

strayfish

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 10:36:36 am »
Yep, usually it's a sound that matches the wake word - a cough can do it for my one called Echo - and it records the next few seconds. It doesn't respond to those things though and you see in the history something like 'not intended for [something or other]'.

Marks3m3

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 10:52:44 am »
No voice.
The only sound was ambient from an electric motor and a trickle from a faucett.
It recorded a 5 second ambient snippet.

m

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 01:34:40 pm »
It doesn't matter if it is recording a voice or ambient sounds.  The principle is the same as described above.  Don't sweat it.  It doesn't happen often and in your case what it recorded was of no consequence.

Marks3m3

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 10:21:22 am »
 Cheers all.

m

asianrocker

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 10:36:39 am »
No voice.
The only sound was ambient from an electric motor and a trickle from a faucett.
It recorded a 5 second ambient snippet.

m

Well if your echo is nowhere near a faucet or windows where it can hear electric motor, then that will puzzle me. Not gonna be bothered though. It is what it is with this, gadgets. Unless you want to live in a NOT hands free home automation then you are more than welcome to banish Alexa echo in your house. I mean you don't have to have it, ya know? it's more of a luxury than a necessity, IMO.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:43:30 am by asianrocker »