Echo & Alexa Forums

Simon says feature issue

StevenR

Simon says feature issue
« on: December 22, 2016, 02:35:58 pm »
I have been experimenting with using the "Simon Says" feature to make an Echo Dot say things when triggered by TTS on a Raspberry Pi (I have an old earphone right next to the Echo Dot which is loud enough Alexa picks up, but is quiet enough to not be noticed by anybody in the room). However, this is spoilt somewhat by the fact that randomly, instead of just repeating what was said, it responds with "I heard" followed by what was said. This appears to be happening for approximately 1 out of every 3 times the "Simon Says" feature is used.

Is everybody else seeing this? I've found one other mention of this online in the following YouTube video, which suggests that this may only be happening in the UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS_Cm31B5S8

jdeacon

Re: Simon says feature issue
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 03:17:12 am »
Yes, I get this too. And I'm a UK user. In fact I get "I heard ..." nearly all the time and rarely get back just the words I said.

StevenR

Re: Simon says feature issue
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 05:32:50 am »
Yes, I get this too. And I'm a UK user. In fact I get "I heard ..." nearly all the time and rarely get back just the words I said.

Thanks, I've ended up using a third-party skill called "Repeat After Me" instead (this is working fairly well for me despite its currently poor ratings). It just means the TTS needs to say "Alexa, ask Repeat After Me to say ..." instead of "Alexa, Simon Says ...".