Echo & Alexa Forums

SiriusXM and Alexa in Canada

mikeprocess

SiriusXM and Alexa in Canada
« on: December 11, 2017, 05:44:28 pm »
I brought in an Amazon Echo Dot from the States several months ago.  It works perfectly.  The siriusxm connection didn't recognize my Canadian SiriusXM account.   So I took out a temporary online account with SiriusXm and could then use it with the Echo.

But about a week ago Amazon started to sell the Echo dot in Canada.   And today while playing with the languages (switching from US English to Canadian English) trying to get "The Weather Network" skill to work properly....I lost the SiriuxXM connection/skill on the Echo dot ... and  alexa.amazon.com only recognizes me as a Canadian and won't let me sign in and use skills with an American language...etc.  (I can sign in as a Canadian with much less usability and features than if I signed in as an American)

No SiriusXM.    Too bad.  Very unhappy.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Laurel

Re: SiriusXM and Alexa in Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 05:54:38 pm »
As a fellow Canadian I have learned not to in anyway connect up to Amazon.ca with Alexa devices. I inquired as I have 2 Echo Shows, 1 Echo, and 1 Tap bought from Amazon.com.  I learned that the Echo Shows would not work with any of the visuals and features they have and I would have to have tech support reconfigure my other devices.  I learned that there is no advantage at all and many disadvantages to having Alexa devices on Amazon.ca.  My suggestion is to return your Dot purchased on Amazon.ca and get one on Amazon.com. Then start over with registering your Echo and Dot on Amazon.com.  I was disgusted when I learned what a gong show it was going to be. So I will happily with stay an Amazon.com Prime member.
Modification:
I think I misread what you said.  I think you used the Dot that you purchased on Amazon.com and tried to set it up on Amazon.ca and then things went wrong?  Can you not just go back and register it to Amazon.com again?  I am signed in on Amazon.com as a Canadian, but my settings on my devices are set to Blaine, Washington for weather etc. I have UK English checked off on my Echo as I like the accent and voice, and everything works fine.  All my devices are registered to Amazon.com including my Kindle e reader.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:50:06 pm by Laurel »

mikeprocess

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 08:40:24 am »
>I think you used the Dot that you purchased on Amazon.com and tried to set it up on Amazon.ca and then things went wrong?  Can you not just go back and register it to Amazon.com again?

Thanks for the reply.  I tried to register with Amazon.com again but it seemed to remember that I was in Canada.  This was even after I deleted the Amazon Alexa app from my phone.   

The Amazon app I reloaded back on the phone I got off the internet and sideloaded it.  It is the American app which isn't available to us Canadians in the Play Store....just the Canadian app is available for downloading.

I think I need to do a "factory reset" on the Dot.  And try that. 

Yes, I screwed up when I switched to Canadian English etc.   I should have left it at American English.  I totally agree with you...stay away from amazon.ca.   Way less features at amazon.ca.

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 12:19:38 pm »
After doing all that, did you remember to change your language back to US English? Because language selection affects the features too. I know coz I am in US but use UK English and some features does not work just coz I use UK english in here - US, like the chat feature, giving me error.

I finally went back to US english to have the full Alexa experience. Also noticed, I don't have to repeat my commands several times just to turn/off my lights.

Honestly, I think your problem would have been solved if you just changed back to US English, instead of doing all that you did.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:24:03 pm by asianrocker »

Laurel

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 12:25:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I tried to register with Amazon.com again but it seemed to remember that I was in Canada.  This was even after I deleted the Amazon Alexa app from my phone.   

The Amazon app I reloaded back on the phone I got off the internet and sideloaded it.  It is the American app which isn't available to us Canadians in the Play Store....just the Canadian app is available for downloading.

I think I need to do a "factory reset" on the Dot.  And try that. 

Yes, I screwed up when I switched to Canadian English etc.   I should have left it at American English.  I totally agree with you...stay away from amazon.ca.   Way less features at amazon.ca.
[/quote]
Good luck.  I think the factory reset should work.  If not, getting the tech people on line would work too i.e. ask them to register it back to Amazon.com.  I buggered up yesterday with downloading the Amazon Alexa from Canadian Play Store.  I used to have apk app for Amazon Alexa and when I looked for an update on the Canadian Play store, I lost my Pandora which I down loaded an apk app for.  I tried to install the apk without deleting the Play Store version and it kept coming back "corrupt".  Eventually I deleted the Play Store app and did get my original apk app back and all is right with the world lol.  Let us know if you get things straightened out on Amazon.com please. 

Laurel

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 12:26:50 pm »
After doing all that, did you remember to change your language back to US English? Because language selection affects the features too. I know coz I am in US but use UK English and some features does not work just coz I use UK english in here - US, like the chat feature, giving me error.

I finally went back to US english to have the full Alexa experience. Also noticed, I don't have to repeat my commands several times just to turn/off my lights.

Honestly, I think your problem would have been solved if you just changed back to US English, instead of doing all that you did.

Thanks.  I am going back to reset mine to US English as I am having no luck with the music alarms.

bonervz

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 12:18:19 pm »
I had the same issue so I called SiriusXM Canada in January 2018.

They told me that SiriusXM Canada does not support the SiriusXM skill and at this time they have no plans to do so in the future.

Go figure.

bonervz

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:05:36 pm »
Just a follow up to anyone listening.
I just spoke to both SiriusXM Canada and Amazon Canada. They both confirmed a skill for SiriusXM Canada is being developed, but neither could tell me it's progress or when it would be available.

Saludos.

jason_arnold

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 12:08:56 am »
Hi all, I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or bump an old one, but, since this is a continuation of the above issue, I opted to keep it here. I stumbled across a post on RedFlagDeals that made my day recently; the skill for Sirius XM in Canada is finally live!

Details here: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/streaming-sirius-canada-now-avail-cdn-amazon-echo-echo-dot-2243723/

BTW, my Echo's language is set to "English (Canada)".