Echo & Alexa Forums

Uses for a bricked Echo Show?

nblack1251

Uses for a bricked Echo Show?
« on: February 02, 2018, 01:39:20 pm »
I have an Echo Show that is effectively bricked (not registered because the post office screwed up and delivered it super late after a replacement had already been delivered). Amazon can re-activate it for a charge, but I don’t really need a second one, and they don’t want it back.

My question - is there anything else I can do with it as an un-registered item? It seems a shame to waste all of the cool hardware in it. I didn’t know ITV you could hack or root it (I’m not super tech-savvy...)

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
Re: Uses for a bricked Echo Show?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 07:28:11 pm »
You could search online for a tear-down guy and send it to him for dissection. He/she will have a nice time to break it down into components and tell you what's the cost price of the show based on the components used.
Echo Dot @ SG

dragon123

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 05:06:38 am »
I'm presuming the reactivation charge costs less than a new Show, so, give it to a family member/friend or sell it..?

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 10:08:51 am »
Interesting. Didn't know you can't just register any echo now? You have to pay? While it is good news it's theft deterrent, I am sure I would be happy to accept it as a challenge.

That's my kind of thing. To find out how to work around those 'locked' device.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 02:53:24 pm »
Interesting. Didn't know you can't just register any echo now? You have to pay? While it is good news it's theft deterrent, I am sure I would be happy to accept it as a challenge.

That's my kind of thing. To find out how to work around those 'locked' device.

it could be only because it was not paid for to begin with.