Echo & Alexa Forums

Would the ideal Human Assistant be Blind & Deaf, unable to speak unless asked?

Not me, Snafs,
Sorry  I tend to mix up names  :-[

coyote

I like all the concepts being bandied about.

That said, there are limits. Form, price, etc. As an example, I did not purchase the original Echo. For that price and with that spatial occupation it made no sense in my environment. But the moment it became a thing that can easily be mounted out of the way for a small price and be incredibly useful, it became something I wanted to integrate into my environment.

And there are other considerations. I like the idea of just talking to my house, and having it respond to my commands, without me having to 'engage' it in a conversation. You can also easily (using tools other than Echo) devise mechanisms that will withhold notifications until you arrive in the room, and then speak them to you.

Echo fulfills the job of getting people acclimated to talking to their homes. The remainder will arrive in the not-distant future.

strayfish

Echo fulfills the job of getting people acclimated to talking to their homes. The remainder will arrive in the not-distant future.

And not just their homes; I've got so used to doing this, I asked my car radio what the time was today. It was resolutely silent on the matter!

coyote

And not just their homes; I've got so used to doing this, I asked my car radio what the time was today. It was resolutely silent on the matter!
:)

Actually, cars are getting better at listening. My wife got a new car last year. For this one, to set up guidance you say the entirety of where you are going. In her previous car, you had to say each component (street, town, etc) separately. And of course you can call someone by pressing the button and saying "call Mike".

Alexa is coming to cars. So in the near future, you'll indeed be able to ask what time it is :)

strayfish

Alexa is coming to cars. So in the near future, you'll indeed be able to ask what time it is :)

I just heard that! Wonder if it's something you'll be able to get as a plug-in or just with new car.

It looks like it will be with the new Fords
https://youtu.be/jCevYKNvixE

Offline kevb

I've used a Dot in my car several times, using my phone as a wifi hotspot. On long trips, it's great- internet radio vs. scanning the dial every 20 miles is worth it alone.

strayfish

It looks like it will be with the new Fords
https://youtu.be/jCevYKNvixE

Thanks. I'm not quite sure how it's working though - through the app or integrated into the car's computer system? I wonder if other manufacturers will find ways of adding on the facility if they see it's well received.

strayfish

I've used a Dot in my car several times, using my phone as a wifi hotspot. On long trips, it's great- internet radio vs. scanning the dial every 20 miles is worth it alone.

I know I'm going to feel proper daft as soon as you answer this but, how is your Dot powered in the car? Mine has to be plugged into the mains or it's saying nothing! Actually I could probably use my Echo - I have a battery base for that so it's mobile. Bit chunky and prone to rolling about to put on the passenger seat though.

Offline kevb

I have a USB adapter that plugs into a power source, much like a phone charger. You can also get a 12V to 110V (US) power converter, and plug the dot power supply into that. Then I run audio out the 3.5 mm jack to the car stereo. I set the dot on a cup holder between the front seats. It doesn't fit inside the cup holder, but it doesn't move around. I tried the dot on the dashboard, but my car allows too much road noise to let the dot hear me from there.

strayfish

I have a USB adapter that plugs into a power source, much like a phone charger. You can also get a 12V to 110V (US) power converter, and plug the dot power supply into that. Then I run audio out the 3.5 mm jack to the car stereo. I set the dot on a cup holder between the front seats. It doesn't fit inside the cup holder, but it doesn't move around. I tried the dot on the dashboard, but my car allows too much road noise to let the dot hear me from there.

Ah, ok I'm some way there. I have a 4 port adaptor that plugs into the lighter socket. It has 2 usb ports and I use that for satnav and phone which work together by wifi hotspot now that TomTom has 'outsourced' its live services (traffic, speed cameras) to smart devices and the user's own data plan. Looks like the Dot could plug into that too. I'll let you know!

you have to be careful using 12 to 110 power converters(inverters) many are modified or square wave which can damage electronic equipment. A pure sine wave invert is more expensive but won't burn up your Alexa. It may only damage the power supply but a 12 volt to USB cigarette lighter adaptor would be safer and cheaper, provided it could supply the correct amps & voltage.

strayfish

Where's a thumbs up when you need one?

The likes(helpful) option is sadly disabled, Not sure if it was ever enabled on this site but many SMF admins disable the feature as they're not sure how to handle abuse the option can cause.
And with the in house war of words that was going on here I can see it would have been. :(

strayfish

The likes(helpful) option is sadly disabled, Not sure if it was ever enabled on this site but many SMF admins disable the feature as they're not sure how to handle abuse the option can cause.
And with the in house war of words that was going on here I can see it would have been. :(

I've never seen one - I'll have to get myself a graphic :)