Echo & Alexa Forums

Whole Home System?

CajunBob

Whole Home System?
« on: April 25, 2018, 01:49:08 pm »
Has anyone sucessfully set up a whole home system? If so, how?

My concept is to take my 4 dots and use them to feed my 4 zone amps.

My question, which has not received an answer is must all Dots and Echo Plusses be connected to the same Wi Fi channel?

Thanks
Cajun Bob

Alexa in Canada

Re: Whole Home System?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:52:50 pm »
I think I posted about something like this a while ago. I strongly recommend incorporating a Harmony hub with Echo Alexa for interfacing with stereo and other equipment. I then use Echo and Echo extensions (like Dots) as a voice control system which handles the requests to the Harmony hub to actually control the various devices. Harmony can control IR, bluetooth, wifi and Radio controlled devices.

If you need to move IR signals long distances or between rooms, use IR extenders and blasters as required.

Combinations of all of the above give a lot of flexibility in design and execution of commands.

asianrocker

Re: Whole Home System?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 09:38:08 am »
Yes there was a guy that did it with his dots. He demo it on a video but that's coz he is a professional installer. So he makes you want it for your house so you can pay him to install it, LOL. That was his business.

He did it on early days of echo. Everything is possible with echo if you know what you are doing and is Handy.

I think you have to have them in same channel yes.