Echo & Alexa Forums

iPhone setup stuck at Connect stage

graemecod

iPhone setup stuck at Connect stage
« on: November 04, 2016, 03:56:24 pm »
I am trying to connect my brand new Echo to the Alexa app on my iPhone and to the wifi network. I get to the point of connecting my phone to the Echo (wifi: amazon-XXX) and the Echo tells me I am connected and should complete the setup in my app. But when I get back to the app, the "Connect your iPhone to Echo" screen is static and I can go no further. There is nothing happening on this screen at all.

I have deleted the app and reinstalled. I have reset the Echo unit (multiple times). I have rebooted my home router. I have moved the Echo to different locations, closer and further away from the router.

I have created a guest network on 2.4Ghz, and changed security settings to WPA-PSK [TKIP].

Nothing works. Please help.

mike27oct

Re: iPhone setup stuck at Connect stage
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 05:08:04 pm »
If possible. set your router security to WPA2 and AES.
Ref:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

You appear to be flailing about, so . . .
You can reach Amazon Echo Customer Support by phone directly and toll-free at 1-877-375-9365.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 05:23:12 pm by mike27oct »

graemecod

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 06:10:00 pm »
If possible. set your router security to WPA2 and AES.
Ref:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

You appear to be flailing about, so . . .
You can reach Amazon Echo Customer Support by phone directly and toll-free at 1-877-375-9365.

Thanks Mike,

I have tried different security settings, to no avail.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone to Amazon Customer Support, 35 minutes of which was just getting them to get my username right and confirm my identity. It was ridiculous. Then they took me through four steps I had already done, not listening to the fact that I had already done them. And then they needed me to reboot my router, but that cut the call off (I use an IP phone). And then they didn't phone me back as promised. So, not much help there... That's why I am reaching out for help here.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 02:14:20 am »
Well, too bad you did not get help from Amazon.  You probably got 1st tier help.  If you need to call back, next time ask for the 2nd tier of help.

Secondly, I told you the security settings for today's modern routers.  I only told you because you has changed the settings to not the current recommendations.  It has nothing to do with the Echo issue per se, I just wanted you to have the router set correctly for all situations.  Return your router to WPA2 and AES and never change it, because it it the highest security settings today.  I sent you the Apple link so you would not think I was making this stuff up!

I also seem to recall when I set up my Echo and later, a Dot, I had some connection issues, too.  Perhaps once you connect to amazonXXX and the Echo tells you to go back to your phone, you may need to disconnect from amazonXXX and get your phone back on your home wi-fi again.  I just can't remember the sequence (it may be after you have told the setup which signal to connect to).  At any rate,it gets a bit tricky, so pay attention to when it tells you to get back on your home wi-fi.  I also seem to remember that at the last step it did not tell me I was all connected -- but i was, and discovered I was after I turned Echo off and back on and Echo said Hello.

I know it can be frustrating, so maybe telling you about these two gotchas might help..  It did take longer and a few tries to connect the first time, and when I did it subsequent times it all went smoother and without a hitch.

And if all else fails, call Amazon back, and do NOT turn off your router; tell them why and that you rebooted it right before you called them.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 01:24:42 pm by mike27oct »

Ezra

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 08:01:44 am »
Did you finally get it to work?

Because I'm at the same stage.. I can connect to the Echo (I hear echo saying to go back to the app) and.. nothing!

The app displays the same page and I can just cancel the setup but nothing else happens.

I tried setting it up with my Chromebook with the browser but it's the same thing..

I really hope someone can help me with this !

mindmagic

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 12:58:41 pm »
I couldn't connect my Echo on 2.4 GHz. When I switched to 5 GHz it was fine. This may or may not have been because my phone was connected to 5 GHz at the time; it auto-switches. If yours does, turning auto-switching off may help.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 02:15:37 pm »
If having difficulty connecting an Alexa device the first time, Amazon suggests unplugging it for five minutes and let the circuits clear completely.  While off, turn the app completely off, too. Then plug it in again and turn it on. Once it is ready, try again using the app.  I suggest connecting to the 2.4 signal if you see it and 5G.  The range of 2.4 is better.  It does not matter if your phone is on either band for connecting to Echo -- because the bands are both on the SAME network.

Ezra

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 03:18:28 pm »
Bands don't matter since it's stuck BEFORE choosing what wifi you want to connect it to.

I did make it work, so my solution that fixed it:

My amazon account wasn't set to the .com (which I changed after moving to Europe) the helpful person at the chat changed the region for me which made it work!

sun316

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 05:49:26 pm »
I had the same issue and was able to solve it by following these steps:
  • Reboot the Amazon Echo
  • What for the Orange light to com up and Alexa told me she is ready for the setup
  • Went into the app and followed the steps and connected to Amazon-XXX network
  • Alexa told me "I am connected" and I should return to the app to continue
  • Going back to the app, same problem....
  • TRICK: after you are connected, click on "I dont see an orange light" link above "Cancel setup"
  • You will see a "continue" button on that page, click it
  • Next screen will tell you, you are already connected, click "continue" again
  • You should be able to see the WIFI config step...

I hope that helps someone .... :)

richswo

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 07:49:46 pm »
I had the same issue and was able to solve it by following these steps:
  • Reboot the Amazon Echo
  • What for the Orange light to com up and Alexa told me she is ready for the setup
  • Went into the app and followed the steps and connected to Amazon-XXX network
  • Alexa told me "I am connected" and I should return to the app to continue
  • Going back to the app, same problem....
  • TRICK: after you are connected, click on "I dont see an orange light" link above "Cancel setup"
  • You will see a "continue" button on that page, click it
  • Next screen will tell you, you are already connected, click "continue" again
  • You should be able to see the WIFI config step...

I hope that helps someone .... :)

This worked for me!!! Thanks!!!

Kamala

Stuck after switching to the Alexa-XXX network.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 10:42:54 am »
Android 6. Stuck after switching to the Alexa-XXX network.
My phone flashed up a notification telling me that the Alexa network doesn't have Internet access.
I had ignored this and got stuck.
When I answered the notification and told it to stay connected, all was fine.