Echo & Alexa Forums

Annoying static/hum from Echo Dot with wired speaker connection

Kyle76

Annoying static/hum from Echo Dot with wired speaker connection
« on: November 03, 2016, 02:33:29 pm »
My original Echo Dot Ver. 2 developed noise when wired to speakers via the 3.5mm jack.  The noise continued whether music was playing or Alexa was speaking.  I did a quick internet search and found out I wasn't the only one who had experienced this behavior.  I called Echo tech support, and after getting transferred to a higher level, was immediately offered a replacement unit.  My new unit seems to work fine, but I got the feeling this is a known issue.  My original unit worked fine initially, but after I unhooked it and rehooked it up to the speakers, the noise began.  Just an FYI, if you experience something similar.

mike27oct

Re: Annoying static/hum from Echo Dot with wired speaker connection
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 04:22:21 pm »
Hum from an electronic device is often due to a bad ground connection.  In fact, it happened to me with a Dot when first connecting the Dot's audio out cable the first time.  The Dot's jack is very tight at first, and although it felt completely inserted, it was not; hence a hum, so I removed and plugged in cable a few times to Dot and made sure it was fully inserted, and hum was, and has been, gone.

smegma11

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:43:11 am »
I have the same thing happen to a new unit I purchased and I checked a room where I don't use the Dot very much and it was doing the same thing on an older unit. I am thinking it might be a bad software update.

Skamper

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 03:57:00 pm »
I too heard an annoying hum when connecting my Dot to an external speaker/amplifier. It was a constant noise regardless of the volume setting of either the Dot or the speaker. Luckily the speaker had both phono and 3.5mm jack inputs and I was able to connect the Dot via the 3.5mm jack and then connect the outer part of the phono connector to earth. This caused the hum to almost disappear - thereby backing up mike27oct's observation that a bad ground connection is often to blame. For an earth, I used a nearby radiator pipe.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 09:21:16 pm »
The problem is the jack into the Dot is not pushed in all the way.  A plug of a new Dot is very tight, so remove and push the jack into the Dot plug a few time to loosen it up until it is flush with the case.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 01:13:28 pm »
There is a ground problem because the ground connection is not making contact because the jack is not fully plugged in!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 05:59:26 pm »
That is true. The Echo Dot's audio jack is unusually tight. And most people think it's plugged all the way in when it really isn't. Just give it a firm push and you'll see that the buzzing/humming noise will go away when your audio plug is pushed all the way in.