Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Mute my TV?? Echo Pause my TV....

ibucky

Echo Mute my TV?? Echo Pause my TV....
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:16:23 am »
OK so just got echo, and love it.  Works great with Wemo.  Honeywell Thermostat. etc...But not too impressive with the Logitech Harmony.  It can turn it on and off.  By using IFTTT.  But it takes too long.  You have to say Echo Trigger On.  I setup so that the phrase on is Watch TV.  It works but can take a long time.  It should be Echo turn TV On.  I found a skill that suppose to work with Harmony, advantage should be instant. 

http://www.alexaskillstore.com/smart-home/eric-s-integration-for-logitech-harmony/17513

tell harmony hub to start the [name of] activity

It is instant and has some hope but way too much to say and remember.  Any ideas on making the simple command of echo mute my tv?

Edit:  Did find this, but not something the average joe can do...but the idea is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tmDfR3URfo

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 11:40:10 am by ibucky »

Yoda_One

Re: Echo Mute my TV?? Echo Pause my TV....
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 02:33:37 pm »
You could try to write your own Skill or Yonomi/IFTTT. I can see an advantage for this function if an individual has some kind of disability where using a Remote is not the best option. Personally, I see absolutely no advantage using an Echo. FWIW

Offline kevb

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 02:58:01 pm »
Here's a link to a Hue emulator that someone built. It is mainly for a Vera home automation controller, but it includes Harmony as well. I run it on a laptop which I always have on. I use it, and used to use IFTTT. As Yoda_One said, I don't really see an advantage over a remote, unless a remote can't be used. I use it mainly when I'm doing something else, and would like the TV on, change channels, etc. If I'm sitting on the couch watching the TV, I use the remote.

https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 05:05:38 pm »
I think you will have to put up with the issues until the harmony because directly compatible with the echo.  I read they are working on it. 

ibucky

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 09:09:02 pm »
Thanks...my disability is I am lazy :)  But actually we are using iphones for remotes with Harmony.  And although I love it, since I can always find my remote, it also is cumbersome to mute the tv when the phone is ringing...so it would be great to yell Echo Mute TV... for now I will just wait and hope Logitech is on it.

notme23

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 11:11:20 pm »
You can do this now with the echo. look about halfway down the page for user eeztrbo's post. I can tell the echo to turn on and off the tv, change channels, turn the volume up or whatever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/amazonecho/comments/4mx7rj/question_about_using_yonomi_with_alexa_to_turn/

Mork74

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 10:24:09 am »
so to clarify, as most tv's will just turn on into standby mode, you are using a harmony hub that can send IR signals to the TV and this switch on properly

and  then using echo and yonomi to send commands.
quick read up on yonomi is an app that can link tasks together for multiple systems as opposed to going into each app and creating..? 
did i get my head around that ok?

flowersrj

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 11:42:28 am »
There is now an official Logitech skill to interact with their Harmony Hub that you might want to look into.

-rich

vegasguy

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 04:29:14 pm »
Looks like I will be sinking more money in my smart home.  :P

Offline kevb

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 05:49:20 pm »
Looks like I will be sinking more money in my smart home.  :P

Get used to it!  :D