Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Spatial Perception

Chris__M

Echo Spatial Perception
« on: October 22, 2016, 06:22:30 am »
As a brand new Dot (6-pack) owner, colour me impressed.

I was unaware that the 2nd Generation Dots came with Echo Spatial Perception, and what it meant. Before receiving my devices, I had been reading articles written about previous versions that dealt with multiple devices in adjacent rooms, and I assumed I would have to configure some to "Echo", and some to "Alexa".

But to my delight, no. I now have one in my home office (small bedroom), and one in my bedroom at the back of the house. With either one switched off, I can activate the one in the other room, so they can obviously hear me throughout. But with both switched on, only the closest reacts to my commands. No clash, no problem.

This bodes well, as I wanted to have one in my lounge, connected to the stereo for entertainment, and one in the kitchen for shopping/recipes/timers/etc. - again, i thought they might clash, but now I think I will be fine.

My understanding is that Echo Spatial Perception will be rolled out to earlier devices as well, which doesn't affect me, but is good for those who have the older Echo and Dots.

gillr

Re: Echo Spatial Perception
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 06:50:49 am »
Thanks for the clear explanation! I'd seen esp mentioned several times but had no clue as to what it meant & had planned to google it today.

Chris__M

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 02:29:57 pm »
Just to add further. I have since enabled a beep when you first say Alexa, that tells you it is activated (this is off by default, but I quite like it).

Anyway, if I am sitting in my office, and say "Alexa" I can clearly hear it beep in the back bedroom *and* my office, so both Dots are hearing me. But only the one closest to me responds to any command.

Excellent stuff!  :)

Kelleytoons

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 08:16:39 am »
Yeah, I wish the update WOULD "rollout" but my guess is that it will either be a LONG time or never (particularly given how other features of Echo have never been fixed).

I have always had this issue with two of my Dots and while my newest works fine the one I need fixed doesn't.  Kind of doesn't want to make me buy any more (because they will conflict with the three older ones I have -- you'd think Amazon would want to fix this, which they could easily do with some kind of "forced" update process that every single other device in the world has).

joshsimpson79

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 10:25:34 am »
Yeah, I wish the update WOULD "rollout" but my guess is that it will either be a LONG time or never (particularly given how other features of Echo have never been fixed).

I have always had this issue with two of my Dots and while my newest works fine the one I need fixed doesn't.  Kind of doesn't want to make me buy any more (because they will conflict with the three older ones I have -- you'd think Amazon would want to fix this, which they could easily do with some kind of "forced" update process that every single other device in the world has).

Would you care to elaborate on this?

DParker

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 03:01:15 pm »
Yeah, I wish the update WOULD "rollout"...

Well, it is being rolled out, so...wish granted.

...but my guess is that it will either be a LONG time or never

I'd bet against that.

(particularly given how other features of Echo have never been fixed).

Ditto the, "Would you care to elaborate?" request.

I have always had this issue with two of my Dots and while my newest works fine the one I need fixed doesn't.

"Fixed" in terms of what?

Kind of doesn't want to make me buy any more (because they will conflict with the three older ones I have -- you'd think Amazon would want to fix this, which they could easily do with some kind of "forced" update process that every single other device in the world has).

There's nothing to fix.  They do have a forced update mechanism.  It's just that, for whatever reason they want to control the release of this particular update (they're probably trying to see how well it works in the field in limited release before pushing it out to everyone .)

Chris__M

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 04:35:33 pm »
Uh guys? Can we allow this topic to be about the subject - Echo Spacial Perception - and not allow Kelleytoons to turn it into one about the efficiacy of the roll out?

If that needs to be discussed (again), then just start a new topic.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 05:14:11 pm »
I am not totally sure if all your echos and dots must be updated to use esp.  I have a first gen dot that has not been updated and an echo that has been, though they both are in different rooms, they are both next to the door and about 10 feet apart.   In the past both would hear when giving a command.  I had to rename one to echo.  Last week, I went back to naming it alexa and theres not been any conflicts.  the closest one has been replying.   I am guessing as long as one of them has the update, there should not be any conflicts.  But it is just a theory :-)