Echo & Alexa Forums

Set up problems on Dot

BARFLY2000

Set up problems on Dot
« on: October 20, 2016, 02:44:20 pm »
So got my 2nd Gen Dot today and it was easy to set up. Once set up I could get it to answer questions and play music. However an update came down and ever since it won't connect to the internet. If I say 'Alexa' it recognises me but says 'I can't understand you right now' and gives a red light. Went into the app on both my phone and on my laptop and tried to set it up again but when I get to the halfway stage of 'preparing your echo dot' it just throws up an error that there was a problem registering my device 10:2:17:5:1. I've powered everything off and on again but nothings changed.

Anyone know how to get past this?

BARFLY2000

Re: Set up problems on Dot
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 03:39:03 pm »
Just to follow up. I fixed this issue by asking it to forget my wifi network and when I selected it again I was asked for my wifi password whereas before it just threw up an error. Hope this helps someone else.

Djvlad79

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:51:56 pm »
Tried to forget the network, reconnect and try again but it didnt work.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 07:44:38 pm »
Suggest anyone having issues getting Dot setup, to unplug it for 5+ minutes; this tip courtesy of Amazon Help to clear all circutry in Dot.  Also, turn Alexa app off and back on before attempting the retry.

fstbusa

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:28:27 am »
I'm having the same issue with a dot that was gifted to me.  It was gifted to me by a buddy who received it as a gift and never used it.  I never had an issue with any of my other 3 echo devices....

I've tried just about everything I can think of.  The only thing I haven't confirmed yet is if the original purchaser didn't select "gift" when purchasing and that its registered under their account.