Echo & Alexa Forums

One Hub

destefmx6

One Hub
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:04:06 pm »
I read quite a few posts, but it seems that multiple hubs/bridges need to be connected in order for everything to work.  My newbie question is this:
Is there one hub/bridge to control "most" of the smart tools?  Hue, Smartthings, Leviton, Lutron, Wemo.....  I see most praise the Samsung Smartthings Hub, but then a bridge (Hue, Wink, etc.) is needed to control the dimmer, different colored lights, motyon sensors.....
Is there one Hub/Bridge to rule/control them all without having a stack of controllers next to my router?

Thanks,

DParker

Re: One Hub
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 11:18:04 pm »
I see most praise the Samsung Smartthings Hub, but then a bridge (Hue, Wink, etc.) is needed to control the dimmer, different colored lights, motyon sensors....

If you have a hub like ST then you only need the Hue bridge if you need to control Hue bulbs (but not smart bulbs from other vendors).  You don't need it for dimmer switches and motion sensor...because the Hue bridge won't control those things (only bulbs), and ST will (provided they're among the many devices that ST is integrated with).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:21:23 pm by DParker »

KelloggKid

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 07:35:05 pm »
I read quite a few posts, but it seems that multiple hubs/bridges need to be connected in order for everything to work.  My newbie question is this:
Is there one hub/bridge to control "most" of the smart tools?  Hue, Smartthings, Leviton, Lutron, Wemo.....  I see most praise the Samsung Smartthings Hub, but then a bridge (Hue, Wink, etc.) is needed to control the dimmer, different colored lights, motyon sensors.....
Is there one Hub/Bridge to rule/control them all without having a stack of controllers next to my router?

Thanks,

Check out the new Almond 3 router from Securifi.  It is not only a router and WAP but also functions as a hub.  It won't be available for about a month but if it delivers on it's promise it looks like it will control most anything that is Z-wave or Zigbee based

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 05:47:18 am »
right now I have the wink hub and the hue hub.  If I want to turn things on/off when away from home, I will need to enter different apps.  It would be nice if you can also turn everything on/off using the echo app since it does have everything listed.