Echo & Alexa Forums

What would you like Echo to do?

JohninCT

Re: What would you like Echo to do?
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2016, 12:12:05 pm »
I'd like to see radio station presets e.g., "Alexa, play preset one on tunein". It usually takes a couple of trys to get Alexa to find the right radio station, so this would be a big improvement for me.

mike27oct

« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2016, 02:26:34 pm »
There ARE presets you can add to the Alexa app.  Go into TuneIn on the app and you can add any station Now Playing to your Favorites list in TuneIn app.  I have quite a few added'  Just Google for this info and you will find instructions to do so.

No speaking to Alexa required, just tap the station icon you want to play.

When asking Alexa to play a certain station using this example format: "Alexa, play TuneIn station KPLU" works well. If you want to hear last station played (even if after many hours), just say, "Alexa, play last station", and it will play KPLU again.

JohninCT

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2016, 08:40:49 pm »
Thanks, I saw this and agree it's a pretty good feature and one that I will use; however, that feature is the same as I have on a WiFi radio's remote. Speaking the preset number would be a feature I'd appreciate and use.

mike27oct

« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2016, 12:06:50 am »
Personally, my mind's memory bank is already full of minutia like my user names and passwords, so adding TuneIn station numbers is a bit of overfill. I find that seeing station logos and icons in Alexa app works just fine, as does speaking to tell Alexa what station to play (if one phrases the question correctly), which is where this conversation began!  If you can say a number, then say the station name correctly.  ;)  (Now, what was that station name? Or even worse, its preset number?)

« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2016, 06:17:28 am »
Thanks, I saw this and agree it's a pretty good feature and one that I will use; however, that feature is the same as I have on a WiFi radio's remote. Speaking the preset number would be a feature I'd appreciate and use.

That would be a great feature.  Just because one person mind memory bank is already overfilled does not mean everyone is.  In fact most are probably not :-)  The feature would actually make things simpler since so many radio stations have the same number, use the same nickname and more.   Some combinations of letters in call signs are tongue twisters so having preset numbers would help. 

mike27oct

« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2016, 02:39:14 pm »
Maybe the next iteration of the Echo can have station pushbuttons like a car radio.  Let's have an LCD display, too. 

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2016, 10:25:30 am »
God help you if you say the station frequency number but Alexa doesn't understand. You have to memorize the call letters of your stations and even then Alexa doesn't always understand them right!
-Paul.

yetisaw

« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2016, 01:44:39 pm »
A sleep timer would be awesome for night time music or books.  "Alexa play pandora sublime for two hours". 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2016, 02:26:50 pm »
Can't you already do this by having it play whatever you want and then setting the sleep timer as a second command?

So the first command would be whatever you say to get it to play Sublime on Pandora (hope it doesn't play it the "wrong way"- ha ha ha!) and the second command would be "Alexa, set sleep time for 2 hours".
-Paul.

mike27oct

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2016, 06:03:32 pm »
Exactly, it has a sleep timer.  Try it beforehand; play a station, then tell Alexa to set sleep time for one minute, and it will turn off in one minute.

Daithi

« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2016, 04:35:12 pm »
The #1 feature I want added to the Amazon Echo/Alexa is the ability to schedule a command she can already do.

For example--

"Alexa, at 11:00 pm, turn off my living room lights."

"Alexa, on weekdays at 6:00 am, play my cool jazz station."

"Alexa, on March 24th at 7:30 am, Simon says 'Remember that today is your dad's birthday.'"

eneisch

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2016, 11:22:47 am »
Most wanted features for me at the moment are recurring alarm and wake to music/radio station.

« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2016, 11:06:23 am »
just realized a feature I want - the ability to use the echo when the internet is down!!!! 

Last night my internet went down and they just now fixed it - all because a new neighbor on the other half of the duplex decided they wanted to steal my cable tv.  They got a bit of a surprised though, I am a cord cutter  :-)  but they did mess up my internet.  Did not realized how much I relied on Alexa. 

DParker

« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2016, 12:45:17 pm »
just realized a feature I want - the ability to use the echo when the internet is down!!!!

You might as well wish for world peace while you're at it.  ;)

Did not realized how much I relied on Alexa.

Yeah, it's funny how quickly you get attached to something that starts off seeming like a novelty item.

Slygrin

« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2016, 01:33:08 pm »
I've only had my Echo for a little bit and I'm still learning what it can do. One thing I wish it could to do is respond to multiple commands. When it finishes one command it would be nice if it listened for a few seconds for another one. For example, when I say Alexa, play classic rock, after she responds I could say volume 7 without repeating Alexa. I figure if it would listen for 3 to 5 seconds after finishing a command would work great.