Echo & Alexa Forums

Broadlink RM2

Burningsky

Re: Broadlink RM2
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2016, 02:57:40 pm »
If you get tired of waiting and you are familiar with port forwarding and setting up a dynamic DNS service, you can try using RM Bridge instead of RM Tasker.  It's more involved, but RM Bridge is much more stable than RM Tasker.

Here are the instructions:  https://github.com/beckyricha/Broadlink-RM-SmartThings-Alexa/blob/master/RM%20Bridge%20Cloud%20Readme.md

RM Bridge works even better if you have a SmartThings hub.  No need to open up a port and use a DNS service.
Thanks.
I'm trying RM Bridge now. Got stuck at the step of "Add your devices to SmartThings":
  • smartthings.com site shows "A Device must have either a Location or a Hub" error when I try to create a new device but both 'Location' and 'Hub' dropdown lists are empty. Nothing to select for them.
  • SmartThings mobile app asks a code to setup after login at the first launch but I don't have a SmartThings Hub with a code.
Maybe some steps in the RM Bridge instructions are out of date.  :-\

inconnu_homme

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2016, 03:59:42 pm »
If you get tired of waiting and you are familiar with port forwarding and setting up a dynamic DNS service, you can try using RM Bridge instead of RM Tasker.  It's more involved, but RM Bridge is much more stable than RM Tasker.

Here are the instructions:  https://github.com/beckyricha/Broadlink-RM-SmartThings-Alexa/blob/master/RM%20Bridge%20Cloud%20Readme.md

RM Bridge works even better if you have a SmartThings hub.  No need to open up a port and use a DNS service.
Thanks.
I'm trying RM Bridge now. Got stuck at the step of "Add your devices to SmartThings":
  • smartthings.com site shows "A Device must have either a Location or a Hub" error when I try to create a new device but both 'Location' and 'Hub' dropdown lists are empty. Nothing to select for them.
  • SmartThings mobile app asks a code to setup after login at the first launch but I don't have a SmartThings Hub with a code.
Maybe some steps in the RM Bridge instructions are out of date.  :-\

You have to set up a Location in the SmartThings web interface.  Try to Log into here:  https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/login/auth

After logging in, click on My Locations (at the top) and then on the green New Location button.  Add a new location and name it, for example "Broadlink".   Then when you add a device by clicking on My Devices > + New Device, "BroadlinK" will show up in the Location drop down menu.

Also, you do not use the SmartThings app, since you do not have a SmartThings Hub.  You just need to make sure to properly add the Broadlink devices to your SmartThings account (with the "Broadlink" location) using the web interface.  After you do that, you need to install the SmartThings Alexa skill using the Alexa app.  After you install the skill and link your SmartThings account, then Alexa should add your SmartThings devices when you run Device Discovery.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:06:14 pm by inconnu_homme »

Burningsky

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2016, 04:28:50 pm »
You have to set up a Location in the SmartThings web interface.  Try to Log into here:  https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/login/auth

After logging in, click on My Locations (at the top) and then on the green New Location button.  Add a new location and name it, for example "Broadlink".   Then when you add a device by clicking on My Devices > + New Device, "BroadlinK" will show up in the Location drop down menu.

Also, you do not use the SmartThings app, since you do not have a SmartThings Hub.  You just need to make sure to properly add the Broadlink devices to your SmartThings account (with the "Broadlink" location) using the web interface.  After you do that, you need to install the SmartThings Alexa skill using the Alexa app.  After you install the skill and link your SmartThings account, then Alexa should add your SmartThings devices when you run Device Discovery.

This is really helpful! I really appreciate your help!
I'll try to set the system up this weekend.
Thanks again, inconnu_homme!

inconnu_homme

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2016, 05:07:40 pm »
No probl

This is really helpful! I really appreciate your help!
I'll try to set the system up this weekend.
Thanks again, inconnu_homme!

No problem.  Here's how to connect your SmartThings account to Alexa:  https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205275404-How-to-connect-Amazon-Alexa-with-SmartThings

Step 9 is where you would choose your created location.  I have not tried this method because I have a SmartThings hub.  RM Tasker was too unstable for me.  I switched to RM Bridge and got a SmartThings hub because I wanted to add home automation.

NewDots

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2016, 06:11:29 pm »
Not sure what's going wrong with your setup.  Seems like all Broadlink devices are supported according to RM Tasker's compatibility list.  First thing I would check is to see if the Broadlink's firmware is up to date.  You should find this in the e-Control app settings.  If it still doesn't work, I would email the developer.  You should see his contact into at the top when you run the RM Tasker Plugin app.
Thank you, inconnu_homme.
I've tried to upgrade the firmware but there were no new updates for the device. The version of my Broadlink RM Pro firmware is v20024. Not sure it's the latest version or not but I did some research and found other people have firmware like v25 or v26.
I emailed the RM Tasker developer about this issue yesterday. Still no response yet.

Do you know how to make this work with just the RM bridge without the SmartThings hub?  The instruction mentioned the hub is optional but I'm not sure how to have Alexa discover the devices.  Thanks for any help in advance.

inconnu_homme

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2016, 10:56:53 am »
Not sure what's going wrong with your setup.  Seems like all Broadlink devices are supported according to RM Tasker's compatibility list.  First thing I would check is to see if the Broadlink's firmware is up to date.  You should find this in the e-Control app settings.  If it still doesn't work, I would email the developer.  You should see his contact into at the top when you run the RM Tasker Plugin app.
I've tried to upgrade the firmware but there were no new updates for the device. The version of my Broadlink RM Pro firmware is v20024. Not sure it's the latest version or not but I did some research and found other people have firmware like v25 or v26.
I emailed the RM Tasker developer about this issue yesterday. Still no response yet.

Do you know how to make this work with just the RM bridge without the SmartThings hub?  The instruction mentioned the hub is optional but I'm not sure how to have Alexa discover the devices.  Thanks for any help in advance.

Just follow the directions.  The only thing missing from them is setting up a "Location", which you would use instead of a hub.  I mentioned how to create a Location few posts above.  If you are not going to get a physical hub, then I would try RM Tasker first.  This will save you from having to deal with dynamic DNS.

NewDots

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2016, 06:54:12 pm »

Just follow the directions.  The only thing missing from them is setting up a "Location", which you would use instead of a hub.  I mentioned how to create a Location few posts above.  If you are not going to get a physical hub, then I would try RM Tasker first.  This will save you from having to deal with dynamic DNS.

Thank you very much for the quick response and suggestion.  I won't be able to test it out till next week so I'll report back then.  Thanks again and happy new year!

PCarrick

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2016, 08:22:05 pm »
I've got an echo dot and I have it working with a Broadlink RM2 with my Samsung Smart TV. It works well. I'm using custom code from python-broadlink at https://github.com/mjg59/python-broadlink and HA-Briridge at https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge running on a MacBook pro. It all works fine  for the Samsung smart TV.

I want to use the Echo Dot to control my Dish Hopper and Joey as well, so I picked up a Dish 20.0 IR Remote. I've tested the remote on my Hopper and Joey and it works just fine. I also looked at the data coming into and out of the Broadlink RM2. It is seeing the IR data when in "learning mode" and transmitting the data but it isn't working with the dish devices.

I even went so far as to try to use the Broadlink e-Control app on my iPhone. I can control the Samsung Smart TV using the e-Control app but if I try to use it with the dish remote it doesn't work. I've come to the conclusion that the Broadlink RM2 doesn't work with DISH even in IR mode.  :'(

So my question is has anyone gotten a Broadlink RM2 to work with a Dish Receiver at all (with or without an Echo involved)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Paul Carrick

Mystery solved (sort of). The Broadlink is VERY sensitive to positioning with the Hopper or Joey.

While the DISH IR remote worked several feet away. The Broadlink has to be in a very exact position: not too close, not too far, not too high up and not too low down (within a 1 foot square area about a foot away from the Hopper or Joey).

Once I got the positioning right it works consistently.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:50:03 pm by PCarrick »

Osufly69

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2017, 07:44:02 pm »
Hello All.  So I have been trying to connect these for a week.  I have downloaded Broadlink e-control app, RM Tasker Plugin 1.6.2, RM Bridge.  Alexa & Smartthings app.  I have all the RF signals running through the Broadlink e-control app and control the devices from my phone. 

I would like to connect Broadlink to Smartthings to Dot.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

inconnu_homme

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2017, 12:33:29 pm »
Hello All.  So I have been trying to connect these for a week.  I have downloaded Broadlink e-control app, RM Tasker Plugin 1.6.2, RM Bridge.  Alexa & Smartthings app.  I have all the RF signals running through the Broadlink e-control app and control the devices from my phone. 

You use RM Tasker to control Broadlink devices with Alexa.  If you want to control the Broadlink with SmartThings, you should use RM Bridge.

Osufly69

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2017, 12:51:09 pm »

You use RM Tasker to control Broadlink devices with Alexa.  If you want to control the Broadlink with SmartThings, you should use RM Bridge.

I did use RM Bridge but when it went to find the devices it never found the Broadlink.  Does this have something to do with a static IP I was reading about?

inconnu_homme

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2017, 01:05:38 pm »

I did use RM Bridge but when it went to find the devices it never found the Broadlink.  Does this have something to do with a static IP I was reading about?

The android bridge you are using should have a static ip.  Do you have a SmartThings hub?  If you do not, it will be easier for you to use RM Tasker.

Osufly69

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2017, 01:22:46 pm »

The android bridge you are using should have a static ip.  Do you have a SmartThings hub?  If you do not, it will be easier for you to use RM Tasker.

I have a Smartthings Hub and the android bridge I am using is my Samsung Galaxy S7(personal cell phone).  When I open RM Bridge there is an IP with a port.  When I hit the button to start it goes around once(green)and then stops(red).

inconnu_homme

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2017, 02:01:28 pm »

I have a Smartthings Hub and the android bridge I am using is my Samsung Galaxy S7(personal cell phone).  When I open RM Bridge there is an IP with a port.  When I hit the button to start it goes around once(green)and then stops(red).

Did you open up that port on your router?

Osufly69

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2017, 03:36:01 pm »
I have not.  That could be my issue.  Im at the office.  Will let everybody know in a bit.