Echo & Alexa Forums

Is it possible to navigate

mrmagoo53

Is it possible to navigate
« on: September 14, 2016, 07:51:26 pm »
Your email and FB accounts with just using ECHO? No support from a smart phone or PC. My son is blind and we are looking for a platform for him to access these accounts verbally. Equipment we are considering is a WIFI hot spot via T-Mobile 4G Mobile Hotspot and the ECHO to be used in his room. I will use my PC to set up. Your thoughts and questions are welcome.

karlfr

Re: Is it possible to navigate
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 07:06:36 am »
the only thing that comes to mind is some kind of google calendar integration.

along the lines of

if you can find some way of syncing emails to create event in google calendar she would read out the title when you ask 'whats happening today'

you could maybe look in to that?

mrmagoo53

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 08:36:58 am »
Thanks for your reply. Will have to invest in the newest offer on the echo, set it up and give your suggestion a try.

karlfr

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 09:47:18 am »
ok so i have just figured this out for you

download IFTTT

create recipe

IF: gmail receives any new mail 
THEN: add to google calendar

save it. press the 'check' button

done!

you will get a notification from IFTTT when this event happens (you could turn notifications off)

then just ask  'alexa, whats happening today'

she will respond with the event in calendar

'new email from (email address) : (subject)

you can also add the body of the email in the IFTTT recipe if you wish

you can apply same principle to facebook just relace gmail with facebook (or any other app you would like)

hope this has helped

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:56:36 am by karlfr »

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 10:28:07 am »
Yes IFTTT is the way to go..  It will require you to create  recipes but can do quite a lot.  And of course there are thousands of skills now for Alexa,  a lot of them very informational... And just basic things like "Alexa ask Wikipedia..." are very helpful..

Cheers,
Alex

mrmagoo53

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 12:31:07 pm »
At 60 I find the newer apps and devices amazing. Will educate myself when the dot is shipped to me in Oct. Hopefully will have a good understanding of how to operate before sharing it with my son. Pretty excited about the impact it will have on his life. Thanks for sharing your knowledge karlfr & TheFallenAngle.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 09:41:55 pm »
At 60 I find the newer apps and devices amazing. Will educate myself when the dot is shipped to me in Oct. Hopefully will have a good understanding of how to operate before sharing it with my son. Pretty excited about the impact it will have on his life. Thanks for sharing your knowledge karlfr & TheFallenAngle.

the real impact will be if he gets some smarthome devices to work with it.

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 11:21:38 am »

the real impact will be if he gets some smarthome devices to work with it.
I control my entire house with Alexa and the 2 Dots I have..

Cheers,
Alex

Yoda_One

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 07:14:18 pm »
+1 I also have 3 Fire TV and they also an extension to my Smart devices.