Echo & Alexa Forums

I say a new skill name and Alexa hears it as the old skill name.

fogyreef

I say a new skill name and Alexa hears it as the old skill name.
« on: September 01, 2016, 06:37:01 pm »
Using Smartthings I set up several switches throughout the house. All worked well. To streamline the names I changed "The Family Room Light" to "Family Light", but when I dropped and recreated the Smartthings skill, reran discovery and ask her to turn on "Family Light" she says "Sorry, I can't find a device named "The Family Room Light" in your account".  Well, that's because I shortened the name. How do I get Alexa to differentiate "Family Light" from "The Family Room Light"?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:48:20 am by fogyreef »

DParker

Re: I say a new skill name and Alexa hears it as the old skill name.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 08:15:18 pm »
The first thing I'd do is to check your SmartThings app and make sure Alexa is authorized to access the device under the new name.

fogyreef

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 12:53:19 am »
In Smartthings Alexa shows all the correct names, and discovery successfully finds the right number of devices. The new devices I set up work. The two older devices I changed names on don't any more. I think her voice pattern recognition is conflating the similar sounding names. If I reset will she relearn?

fogyreef

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 01:13:20 am »
After talking to tech support I renamed the troublesome devices to "Kitchen" and "Family Room", removing "Light" from the names altogether. Tech support mentioned "Light" as being problematic in the name sometimes. All's well now.