Echo & Alexa Forums

"sorry, I'm having trouble understanding right now"

jimcobber

« on: August 17, 2016, 01:41:28 pm »
I have 2 echos, one works fine, the other keeps loosing it's WiFi connection. This started recently, it is in the same room as our WiFi WAP. When I unplug it and plug it back in, it finds the WiFi. Then, after awhile, it looses it. The other Echo is very happy and works fine. Any ideas?

DParker

Re: "sorry, I'm having trouble understanding right now"
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 02:02:27 pm »
I'm inferring from your use of "This started recently" that the WiFi connection used to be stable.  Give that, the obvious question is:  Has anything changed, that you know of, around the time that the loss of connection issue began?  Any new RF-emitting devices in the house?  Any changes to your router configuration?  Maybe a new router nearby (neighbors) operating on the same channel as your troubled Echo and that might be causing interference?

jimcobber

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 03:17:50 pm »
No, nothing's changed. The Echo's that's working is directly above the one that's giving me the problem, on the 2nd floor. I'd be the first to blame my network if both Echo's were having issues, but that's not the case. I see there is a paper-clip reset procedure you can use, I will give that a try. When I say "started recently" its seems like it started in the past couple of weeks. I did do a survey using NetSpot and did not see anything but really good coverage in the area that the problematic Echo is located.

vegasguy

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 03:55:38 pm »
How about swapping the 2 echoes? Bring the one upstairs down and take the other one up. See if the problem is with the echo or if it's with the location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 05:35:17 pm »
did you try a power cycle on the router?

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 03:10:30 am »
Being "too close" to a router can be a problem, like being too far from one is.  My router manual (or another Wi-Fi transmitting device I have; don't remember exact device) says there is a "dead zone" about 12-18 inches out surrounding the antenna, so don't have a receiving device that close.  So, if you are this close with the Echo to router, get another foot or more away at least, and see if that helps.