Echo & Alexa Forums

HELP - echo stop playing music after few songs

Eddie Chan

HELP - echo stop playing music after few songs
« on: July 18, 2016, 04:04:32 am »
All,

I just got my echo through prime day and were eager to set it up and running.

All are good except the music playing. Regardless Prime Music, IHeart radio or Pandora, it will not play more than few songs. Then it would stop. When you asked echo to play any songs, the reply either nothing or "can't play music". The only way to resolve it is to reboot the echo or reconfigure the echo.

I have been with echo/alexa tech support for 2 hours this morning without any help. We have tried all sort of attempts like, reboot echo, reboot router, using diff wireless network (since I have dual band, I have switch to 2.4 or 5 G). After every reconnect or reboot, it will only play few songs and then hung. Besides playing music, all are still good. I can still ask for news, calendar and even control my lighting (home automation).

At the end, I even "factory reset", "deregister" and "register" the device but no help. Still have the same issue. It can only play few songs and stopped (other functions were still working

It is just the music service (regardless the prime or pandaro, etc). It would not playing until I rebooted or reconnected and then it played for few songs.

I am clueless and on the verge of returning it.

I love the device as it can do many thing. However, playing music issue is annoying me.

Please help.

Thanks,
Eddie

Keifer

Re: HELP - echo stop playing music after few songs
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 08:22:56 am »
What is your internet speed at home? I had a similar issue. Not only would music stop playing, but various smart devices would intermittently not respond (like Philips Hue bulbs). I also noticed when either my cell phone or tablet was first plugged in to charge my network would slow to a crawl for several minutes. I suspect they were starting to backup to the cloud at that time.

I had 15mbps internet speed, but when I upgraded to 50mbps all of these crazy issues stopped. I guess I had too many smart devices for the slower speed.

Eddie Chan

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 10:41:43 am »
First of all, thanks for replying my request...

My home network speed is quite good. I am using Comcast and my download speed is ~50Mbp and upload is ~6Mps. My wifi is very strong and I have a lot of device running without any issue. For example I have chromcast stream video and it is performing well. Therefore I don't think it has anything to do with my LAN or WAN.

Again, when it stopped playing music, other functions are still working. For example, I can still ask echo to tell me the time/weather, control my lighting/home automation, tell me the calendar/event, set alarm clock and so for. When it can't play music, no matter how to get echo to play, it will say "can't find the music to play something". The echo did recognize the command and did process it correctly as I it shows from my alexa apps.

It seems to me that the music agent is disconnected from the amazon network and never able to recovered until reboot or reconfigured.

It is very annoying. Is it a defect device?

Thanks,
Eddie

Hope it helps...

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 04:14:02 pm »
If your Echo has poor internet signal, the Echo ring will glow orange when you talk to it and it will tell you you have a problem with the internet signal (like if I were to turn of router).  So, it appears the internet at your home is OK.  I suggest you use the 2.4 signal, as it is plenty fast for echo and music.  5G has a shorter range, and also best used for video; music does not require anywhere near the bandwidth as video. 2.4G has a larger range radius, too. All my Echo devices (Echo, Dot and Taps) are on 2.4G, and my streaming video devices are on 5G or hard wired.

Have you tried using TuneIn radio yet?  How does it work for you? 

Sometimes stations can drop out; and since it does not happen to all, I conclude the problem is with the actual radio station internet feed, and not the Echo or my wireless.  I just change TuneIn stations when this is a problem.

DParker

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 04:37:50 pm »
After over a year of streaming music from multiple sources, I've never experienced this problem with either of my Echos.  But you appear to not be the only person who has:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/ref=cs_hc_g_tv?ie=UTF8&forumID=Fx1SKFFP8U1B6N5&cdThread=TxOT4CG7Z7H7O4

Eddie Chan

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 05:15:25 pm »
Thanks everyone's help. The issue is still persistent and no clue from Amazon support. I have been with them on the phone for few hours and they have no help at the moment. They however promised to get a replacement for me. Since my device is brand new from Prime day, I request for a brand new one instead of "refurbished". I will see what they can do.

I love the device as long as it works correctly. I can do a lot of thing with it. It is just the playing music annoying me. I tried pretty much everything I can but couldn't figure it out. The last resort is to get a replacement I guess.

Thanks,
Eddie

Eddie Chan

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 07:35:30 pm »
Ok, all sort of effort didn't help and called Amazon to get a new one.

Amazon support is gracefully sending me the new one. Due to high demand and limited supply (brand new one), I will get it in a week...

I will update when I got the new one.

Thanks,
Eddie

vegasguy

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 04:19:38 pm »
I've had that happen before. What I figured out was it had to do with my personal playlist. My playlist is composed of hundreds of tracks that I've added from prime music. What I didn't realize before was prime music works like Netflix. Netflix adds and remove movies every month. Prime music adds and removes music each month. When a song has been removed from prime music and my playlist happens to play that song, the echo stops playing and goes silent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DParker

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 04:30:05 pm »
I've had that happen before. What I figured out was it had to do with my personal playlist. My playlist is composed of hundreds of tracks that I've added from prime music. What I didn't realize before was prime music works like Netflix. Netflix adds and remove movies every month. Prime music adds and removes music each month. When a song has been removed from prime music and my playlist happens to play that song, the echo stops playing and goes silent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would make sense, except that he said he's experiencing the same problem with iHeart and Pandora as well, which are "station" oriented rather than playlist oriented.

ladyvet15

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 10:10:21 pm »
I have a brand new one from Prime day as well, and it has been working fine UNTIL TODAY .... and I, too, called support and learned that they had issues today with the Alexa app and their servers. Maybe your support folks didn't know that or maybe it is your unit, just thought I would share that. Mine worked fine after an hour or so. They SAID they would send me an email when it was working correctly but I didn't receive one. But last I knew it was working fine.

JimMooney74

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 02:11:27 pm »
I just got an Echo and Echo dot today from Prime Day.  They’re both doing the exact same thing while playing Pandora.  My phone plays Pandora uninterrupted, at the same time.  This leads me to believe that it’s the server, not the device or internet connection.  The quick fix, is to tell Alexa to stop playing whatever it is, then play it again.  I’m sure Amazon will be on this like white on rice. 

lightguy48

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 03:20:55 pm »
So I'm curious if I may be having a similar issue, I have a unit set up to play sleeping music.  At first I thought it was because I was playing a sleeping music playlist and the playlist is running out (I want it to play all night).  However last night I tried 'sleep music radio' from Amazon Music and same result, in the middle of the night the music had stopped.

I do not have an orange indicator, it's blue on the device when talking to it.

Is there some kind of inactivity timer when playing music?

One Eleven

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 09:28:55 am »
I have two Alexa Echo Dots and one Echo Show. I use Pandora Premium. My music stops on all three devices after four or five songs. This just started approximately three or four weeks ago. Frustrating since I like to play music for an hour or more throughout my house.

After reading everyone else's comments, I have to believe it's the music feed through Amazon.

I too use Comcast and have duel channels, and with my own router and modem, I average 200 mbs download/24 upload mbs.

I hope Amazon sees this post and fixes it. It's not the devices and it's not the Internet, and it's not the music providers.

One Eleven

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 06:28:26 pm »
Update to earlier post: Music stops after four or five songs intermittently. Sometimes music plays fine. I hope this information helps the Amazon tech personnel resolve the issue.

mulligan22

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 09:33:33 am »
My echo spot worked fine playing songs through my Pandora account. Then one day it changed. Now I get one song then it stops. After awhile it might play another song.  I can play my Pandora account through my laptop, grace digital radio and home stereo tuner without issue.  I can also stream video through other devices without issue. I have checked all other issues that Amazon reccomends. It's in the Amazon device. Now I don't use it at all. It's just a dust collector.