Echo & Alexa Forums

is Dot for non-prime members?

linuxhippy

is Dot for non-prime members?
« on: June 11, 2016, 11:50:26 am »
I just got the Echo and like it a lot.  I'd like to get the Dot so I have Alexa on both floors of my house but the Dot seems to be sold exclusively to prime members.  I'm not one, so I guess ebay is my only option?  If I can find someplace else to sell it to me, will it work for me or do I still need a prime membership?

Marty

Yoda_One

Re: is Dot for non-prime members?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 01:06:18 pm »
No, It just an Echo without the internal large speaker. In fact it even a little bit more functional since it has 3.5mm connection which I connect to old Logitech 5.1 Speaker System and you can send you music to a Bluetooth headset or Speaker System. It has all the smarts as it's big sister with the same microphones but a tiny internal speaker.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:25:10 pm by Yoda_One »

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 01:24:03 pm »
>>>  the Dot seems to be sold exclusively to prime members. 

This was the case when the Dot was first announced earlier this year, but no indication that is the case today.  Have you actually tried to order one and did Amazon refuse your order?

linuxhippy

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 03:30:11 pm »
No-ordering appears closed at Amazon.  It's not available till July 21st says the search page I see but I can't even pre-order so it makes me wonder if Prime Members see the same page since that page says it's exclusively for Prime Members.  This is what I see (right click on image and select view image to zoom in):

Marty

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 03:49:19 pm »
Hmmm, so it still says all that?  It likely will be available to the general public after they satisfy current backorders, etc. I would imagine. 
Meanwhile, this is what you can do:  sign up for a free 30-day trial of Prime service, get the Dot ordered, and cancel trial before trial period ends.

linuxhippy

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 04:04:58 pm »
I'm not eligible for free Prime membership yet.  I tried it months ago and canceled and I think they only let u do that once a year.  I was thinking about paying $11 for a month once the orders are being taken and then cancel after a month.  I just wanted to make sure that my Dot would keep on working once I canceled Prime.

Marty

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 04:25:05 pm »
Once on your AMZ account a Dot ought to continue to work, just like an Echo.  Well, seems you will have to wait until July date to see if Dot will be sold to the masses.

Buying from eBay would be ill-advised right now, since all the affordable units are sold and gone by now.

itsjustmeee

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 12:29:59 pm »
It just looks like the Dot isn't available until july 22nd. I'm a prime member and there's no difference. They must be backordered .... or maybe they're doing some sort of little design change with the internal parts .... who knows.