Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo going Portable

additude

Echo going Portable
« on: May 20, 2016, 12:16:58 pm »
So I was thinking about being able to transport my Echo to a different location, located on a different LAN. I have my Echo at my home, but thought it would be fun to bring to work once and awhile. I own a small retail business, so I am the LAN Admin, so setup would be no problem.
I'm not sure if it would be a problem with Amazon to do or not. I could DHCP reserve to the Echo MAC addy at both locations for fixed local IP, then maybe it would be as simple as power plugging in the Echo at the two different locations and it would work fine.
Anyone have any input? Thoughts?
Thanks.

mike27oct

Re: Echo going Portable
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 04:39:00 pm »
Easy.  All you do is plug it in at work, and use the Alexa app on your phone.  Go into Settings.  Select your Echo, chose Update Wi-Fi and follow along. to connect to your work router.  WHen you get home, do this again, but your home Wi-Fi will still be listed and you just switch to it, but then again, it likely will automagically connect to it, and when you take Fcho back to work, it will likely connect to it.  Once you have registered a network it stays registered and you can go between them.

Hey, get a portable Tap or Dot to use at work.  They go on sale from time to time it seems. I got a second Tap at 20% off last month.  A Tap will join us on vacation next week.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:03:16 pm by mike27oct »

additude

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:48:31 am »
Thanks Mike... I'll give it a try... I have been kind of busy....but I'll try tomorrow.

MoJo

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 12:17:07 pm »
It worked for me. I brought my Echo to work this morning, told it via the Alexa app the Wi-Fi connection & PW to use, and I'm enjoying some IHeartRadio on my Echo at my office now. Love this little gadget!

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 12:55:54 pm »
Better chain it to your desk, or it will be MIA in morning!

Adding another network to connect to is a simple matter.  My Tap has been connected to 6 or more different networks already.  Have Tap; will travel!