Echo & Alexa Forums

Alarm That Plays an Amazon Prime Playlist

justasiam

Alarm That Plays an Amazon Prime Playlist
« on: May 11, 2016, 01:23:05 am »
You would think that there would be a IFTTT recipe for this out of the gate, but I cannot find one. The only options I see for alarms on my Echo is for those gawd-awful annoying shock-me-awake alarm sounds.

Am I missing something? Is there a recipe that allows me to be woken up at a specific time with my Amazon Prime music, or Pandora music?

I know I can is the "If THIS then THAT" option. When I do, I can select "Time" for the THIS, but Prime, Pandora, or Music" is not even an option for the THAT portion.

Ideas?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:34:47 am by justasiam »

Re: Alarm That Plays an Amazon Prime Playlist
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 04:13:40 am »
not going to happen at this time.  however there is a work around that requires the use of your smartphone. 

http://lovemyecho.com/2015/11/13/echo-lifehack-how-to-turn-your-echo-into-a-clock-radio/

justasiam

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 06:21:21 pm »
TY. I have hear of this workaround. The problem is that the alarm clock repeats the custom audio file. Now I see an app called "Alarm Clock 3" that supoosedly just plays the file with no repeat. I will check it out and see if it works.

It just baffles me that a device that is made by Amazon does not work with the music site owned by Amazon.The only choice a I have is to either use this work around or use a paid serivce like Spotify. I think this is all a scam by Amazon to get us to buy another paid music site.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 06:32:21 pm »
TY. I have hear of this workaround. The problem is that the alarm clock repeats the custom audio file. Now I see an app called "Alarm Clock 3" that supoosedly just plays the file with no repeat. I will check it out and see if it works.

It just baffles me that a device that is made by Amazon does not work with the music site owned by Amazon.The only choice a I have is to either use this work around or use a paid serivce like Spotify. I think this is all a scam by Amazon to get us to buy another paid music site.

not a scam...it is still basically a new device and amazon is still trying to see what features their users want.  I believe eventually there will be a custom alarm feature.  They are releasing new features weekly...

DParker

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 06:56:17 pm »
It just baffles me that a device that is made by Amazon does not work with the music site owned by Amazon.

The Echo does work with Amazon Prime Music.  It just doesn't do one particular specialized thing with it that you'd like it to do.

The only choice a I have is to either use this work around or use a paid serivce like Spotify.

What does a paid service like Spotify have to do with it?

I think this is all a scam by Amazon to get us to buy another paid music site.

So, you think they've failed to implement one particular additional feature in order to get you to pay money to their competitors?  Those evil geniuses!!

iolinux333

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 06:29:50 pm »
lol

additude

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 09:04:59 am »
Well DParker...

There ya go again... stirring the pot causing confusion and chaos....

Like ya did over there in that spam thread...

....just jokin' with ya dude... ;D

additude

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 09:08:42 am »

Yea...them sneaky bastards....

Glad you pointed that out... they were pullin' a fast one on a whole bunch of us.... but you caught 'em for sure...

justasiam

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 06:46:27 pm »
You are right, I may be over reacting a bit, but the alarm function was one of the first things they developed in this product and they already had the Prime service in play.

Doing a bit more research, the If Then recipe allows for a timer to trigger, but when connecting to Spotify, or SoundCloud, it does not allow for "Play Song" as an option.

So, I ruled out the conspiracy theory. There is not even a "Prime" channel at all. so I guess no recipes at all work with prime.

So sad.

MapScallion, LLC

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 12:55:33 pm »
Good news! There’s now an Alexa Skill that allows you to set alarms and timers that play music. It’s called ClockRadio.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076C6KC4D

Offline jwlv

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 03:03:24 pm »
Hmm that's quite interesting. I didn't think it was possible to push events or commands to Alexa. I wonder how they did it. 

StevenR

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 05:28:42 pm »
Hmm that's quite interesting. I didn't think it was possible to push events or commands to Alexa. I wonder how they did it.

The description of the skill includes the following:
“If another skill uses Alexa’s AudioPlayer to play audio before the set time, the ClockRadio alarm or timer will be canceled.”
That makes me think that this works by playing a stream which starts with silence of the correct length based on when you want the alarm to go off and then continues with the music you want to play.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 06:44:18 pm »
I didn't read that tidbit in the description. Assuming that they are sending a silent stream until the alarm goes off, I wonder how much data that uses. Being that it's silent, it should be compressed to almost nothing. At least I hope so. Otherwise people who are on a metered data plan might be in for a huge surprise on their next bill.

malliekm

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 08:15:06 pm »
"metered data plan" is exactly why we can't enjoy the offerings of a
Chromecast device and streaming TV shows.  Each Chromecast uses
about 10MB (or more) of data per HOUR when it's not being used.  During the hours of 2am to 8am, data download is free.
18 hoursx10 = 180MB per day. Times 30 days is 5400MB/5.4GB.  I have two Chromecasts
for a total of 10.8GB if we never used the Chromecast!  It is constantly streaming when it's not
even on.  My monthly data plan is 20GB.  One of the not so good things about only having satellite
internet to choose from.